• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scene in a fiction book, Admiral takes command

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why would the depth of the layer matter with a rouge EXTORP unless you are looking for a large tube shaped hunk of metal that might have shot it?
This is what I'm wondering. The OOD of a DDG can't change depth to get below (or above) the layer to help evade the self-homing torpedo. Is this for CM employment?

I understand the whole 'it might not acquire O/S across the layer,' but are you really going to hang the crew's life on that? Better to be safe than sorry sorta thing?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gee golly…you guys know some serious shit…given an "if there was"…and an "if it mattered"…and an "ie/eg:"…and an "if it went deep" and a maybe "below the layer" ( whatever that may have been), and it "might not see" something.

You should have been a lawyer... ;)

Welcome to ASW. But since it's out of your swim lane...

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
WOW. I didn't realize that my "hypothetical" was so outrageous. LOL At least one person figured out that I actually was there and it probably DID happen. Yes, an extorp can activate after early separation, and in this case, it DID acquire, home, turn away, reacquire, and home on ownship....several times. OOD?...He just kept driving in a straight line. YES, the admiral did relieve the OOD. According to the debrief which occurred after we had landed, the OOD did ask what a layer depth was.Yes, he did dramatically rip the rank off of the JOOD's uniform!

The rest of the story is also true, but to clarify...the suicide was not for this incident. It was years later for another controversy.

It goes to show, sometimes you can't make this stuff up.

FWIW, layer depths do matter. They can mask noise both above and below the surface layer. Believe it or not some of us actually took ASW seriously in our day.

Renegade One

None
WOW. I didn't realize that my "hypothetical" was so outrageous. LOL At least one person figured out that I actually was there and it probably DID happen. Yes, an extorp can activate after early separation, and in this case, it DID acquire, home, turn away, reacquire, and home on ownship....several times. OOD?...He just kept driving in a straight line. YES, the admiral did relieve the OOD. According to the debrief which occurred after we had landed, the OOD did ask what a layer depth was.Yes, he did dramatically rip the rank off of the JOOD's uniform!

The rest of the story is also true, but to clarify...the suicide was not for this incident. It was years later for another controversy.

It goes to show, sometimes you can't make this stuff up.

FWIW, layer depths do matter. They can mask noise both above and below the surface layer. Believe it or not some of us actually took ASW seriously in our day.
Thanks for the background. I truly had no idea…and I guess I owe you several "gomenasais". Good luck with the book!

Trying to remove foot from mouth while paddling back into my own swim lane…hard to type this way… :(

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Thanks for the background. I truly had no idea…and I guess I owe you several "gomenasais". Good luck with the book!

Trying to remove foot from mouth while paddling back into my own swim lane…hard to type this way… :(

"gomenasais?" I had to look it up. No worries.