• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scaphoid Fracture Waiver

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Logic would say that you don't need a waiver....however, NOMI and logic don't always swap spit.

cnstoll

So it looks like what I need done is this:

1) Surgery to take out the current screw, and fill in the fracture with cadaver bone

2) A second surgery a few months after that to put in another screw, and then do a vascular bone graft from my radius to the scaphoid site.

Is there any reason to think that as long as the result is a healed bone that either of those surgeries would be in some way disqualifying?

X

xxxCharliexxx

I'm new to all of this and oddly came across your post. I'll add my 2c. Application aside, you should do what is in your best interest to heal and be pain free. That I'm sure you know. Once your wrist is up to par, nothing should stop you and your application should be fine. Nothing so far is disqualifying. You are good to go.

Get the surgery (that will delay you a minimum of 6 months and any additional time that it takes to be "cleared" of this injury) and once your doc can sign something that says "Conrad has had <this particular surgery> as a result of <whatever you were doing to injure your wrist> which was repaired fully by the surgery and followup physical therapy. There were no complications of the surgery(s) and he now has full function of his wrist. This in no way will impair his ability to perform his duty as an OCS candidate or in his duties as an Officer in the US Navy."

Bring all your documents to MEPS when you go. Actually, your recruiter will probably ask for them in advance to get you medically cleared BEFORE you go through the application process because they are asked to "pre-screen" candidates now in that manner. Once you get cleared medically, submit the full application and you will already know that the medical part is cleared and you are good to go. No thumb-twiddling involved that way...you know up front on if you need more documentation or what they want to see from you to clear you before you submit your application.

Hope it all works out for you. And as a side note Conrad, I would refrain from using your full name and that much information about yourself on a any public forum much less a military related public forum. (just a friendly tip). You can easily edit your post to delete your last name.

Also, work on the pushups flat handed. It won't matter if you get a PQ letter or not if you can't do the PRT qualifying amount of pushups and in OCS, plan on doing lots.

To answer your question though easily, nothing so far is disqualifying, you should be fine if your wrist is fully functional and without pain and a doctor can sign off on that and that there are no complications associated with surgery. Once it's all done and you've waited 6 months after surgery (mandatory minimum), and your wrist is functional without pain, contact your recruiter to pre-screen your medical to see if there's anything else you need to provide to get a physically qualifying letter. After that, enjoy OCS. :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
So it looks like what I need done is this:

1) Surgery to take out the current screw, and fill in the fracture with cadaver bone

2) A second surgery a few months after that to put in another screw, and then do a vascular bone graft from my radius to the scaphoid site.

Is there any reason to think that as long as the result is a healed bone that either of those surgeries would be in some way disqualifying?

No, I see no reason, assuming you get most of your ROM back AND are asymptomatic, that this would result in a DQ. Get the darn thing fixed the right way; much better for your overall health.