• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Saw a counselor

Tjd448

When I was 14 (22 now) I saw a family counselor with my father due to family issues. My parents are divorced and I used to split time between them. About a year prior to seeing the counselor, he had me live solely with my mom. So we saw this counselor to help mediate and work through the issues. He is not a psychiatrist, but rather a licensed social worker. At no point was I prescribed anything or was I being evaluated for any mental illness.

That all being said when I filled out my forms I said I have seen a counselor. Here's where the problem lies: it's been so long that he no longer has any record of our appointments due to state law saying he has to get rid of them after I believe seven years. Since it wasn't a psychiatric counseling my primary care doctor also does not have any record of it. I was told basically to get one letter from the counselor saying he doesn't have any records and give as much detail as possible about the situation and one letter from my doctor saying I've never been prescribed any medications. This won't be a problem to get but I am just worried this situation will disqualify me. The recruiter said I'll probably get through the initial medical eval with those letters but it may be a problem with N3m. Does anyone have any insight on my situation or other advice to give? I appreciate all the help.

A letter should be sufficient to cover your bases, as long as no medications were prescribed or you had any red flags in your session notes. The fact that it was 8 years ago is a big help. Just be honest about it and be prepped to talk to the doc at meps about it.

I had a similar situation where I was getting couch sessions for a tough time in my life, and had to get letters saying no medications were prescribed or no mental illness was tested for, blah blah blah. More of a headache than anything, I got through the process no problem. And mine was within the past year of me applying. YMMV.

Good luck.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Had a similar item in my past, with the same destroyed records situation because it happened about 15 years before my application. Plus, the doc had since retired from the practice, so they couldn't provide me with anything; all I had were the billing records from my parents' insurance company. I disclosed it on my 2807 form and had no problem getting through the pre-commissioning physical, but N3M kicked it back as a TNPQ item with recommendation for a waiver if a current exam showed no ongoing issues. I had to get an Axis I-V assessment with a civilian doc, send the results back to N3M, and my medical clearance was good to go a week later.

exNavyOffRec

you should make sure you are clear with the MEPS doctor or any statements your write that you AND your father met (NOT COUNSELED) with a social worker to discuss the living arrangements that you had and the challenges often encountered splitting time with 2 parents.

I did counseling not even a year ago for my divorce. Wife cheated on me multiple times. Nothing prescribed, no issues; work offered free session so I took them. She even put something in the notes about blacking out from drinking (not during that time, but in my life. Let's be honest, who hasn't). So I just had toes t a letter from her clarifying the black out and that I didn't have a problem with alcohol. I got picked up at the September SNA board.

Tjd448

I appreciate everyone's input. Makes me feel a whole lot better about the situation knowing others have gone through similar ones and have made it through. I guess I will find out on the 27th and I will prepared for any extra headache it will bring. Thanks everyone.