• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

San Diego Recommendations

Carlos Caliente

None
If you are a single O-1/2 in your early/mid 20's PB is the place to be. Crime is rampant, but it's no better in most parts of the Whale's Vagina.
- I had a bike stolen out of my garage on Missouri St. in broad daylight. Fisticuffs and donnybrooks every weekend, out in the street. Neighbors with dubious morals.
+17 minutes driving from door to North Island main gate. No need to drive anywhere on weekends or when going bar hopping.
Yeah, trash floats around the hood and I was very ready to leave after a year but I had an awesome time. Wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

mwardakpsi

Get money, get paid!!!
None
Most of these neighborhoods are very spotty anyways. There are great areas and bad areas of PB/Chula Vista/Spring Valley/etc....

It really all depends on what side of the road/train tracks or part of the block your house is located. The only way you are going to find a completely nice area is where the price point keeps out the majority of the population. (LaJolla, certain downtown buildings, etc..)

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Time to bring this back since I am now moving to SD. We are looking at the east Chula Vista area since the housing is new and affordable. Not to concerned with being near bars and what not.

Does anybody live in that area and can refer me to a realtor, and give some general advice on the area?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Coincidentally, Scuba is now in SD as well - for what seems to be the semi-longterm. Showed up expecting to do a quick 78 days in the Foxtrot RAG, and was told 2 days later that I'll now be flying Sierras and having orders rewritten to PCS to San Dog for the duration of the training. Right now I'm about to finalize renting a place in PB about 2 blocks from the Tap Room.

So far, SD is rapidly screaming toward the top of the list of great duty stations...

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
My husband and I are currently PCS'ing to San Diego. Our realtor was Ivana Nedeljovick and I'll PM you (and anyone else who wants it) her contact info. She was fantastic with helping us find a place while we were still overseas. Ultimately, we chose the Eastlake area which is the brand new area of Chula Vista (aka, the non-ghetto part.) We bought a 5 bedroom, 3 bath. If you bank with USAA, I recommend their mover's advantage program. They referred Ivana to us and when we bought a house, we got a bonus check from them for $1250 for using their recommended realtor. And if you don't get someone as good as Ivana helping you, they'll bring in someone new for you.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer or find answers for you since I'm new to the Eastlake area.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
^Definitely not. But you can find some great deals in Eastlake, which is part of what drew us to the area. The prices are great right now, the schools are impressive and the area is nice and new. The drawback is the property taxes of course, but that was hard to avoid in SD.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's the commute like from there? I think I remember a lot of IPs living there when I was in the RAG and they said it was a bit of a haul, but I may be remembering that wrong.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
It took about 35 minutes when we tested it out but we've heard on bad days it can be up to 40-45. Ben departs Guam and starts up with the new squadron next month, so I'm sure he can give a more consistent number then.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I also did my first tour at 5 (or whatever they call themselves now) and went on to the RAG and bought a house out in Chula Vista (Rolling Hills Ranch). Worked out great for us and the drive wasn't bad unless I was trying to come in right at 0800.