• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

San Diego gouge?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Second PB, La Jolla, Mission Valley, UC, Balboa, Mira Mesa, Scripps Ranch, Torrey Pines, Point Loma(They turned most of the old Basic Training facility into houses and condos there), Silver Strand IB but stay away from Nestor.

There are wrong places to live-Skyline, Paradise Hills, Encanto, Emerald Hills, South Grossmont, Logan Heights, Clairmont is tricky also if you aren't familiar with the area, Imperial, North Park (Unless you don't ask don't tell/ but it is safe at least). Outer SD stay away from National City, Sherman, Nestor, Most of Spring Valley and Lemon Grove, All Chula Vista except by Bonita and Eastlake (Basically stay east of 805).

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
Thank you everyone for the great info! This does help a LOT given my detaching command won't give me much room for househunting! If anyone out there needs/knows someone needing a roomie in Jan, I might be up for it. At least now I can start narrowing my search down. These tips will be very helpful, (Next is to find a well-managed apt complex!) and I really don't have a problem with the North Park/Hillcrest crowd.

Zissou, thank you for considering my safety, much appreciated as a single gal. ;)

What kind of paperwork should I worry about for the tax issue?

*CHUBBY*

None

Not completely sure what the tax status is like where you are (or what your state of legal residence on file with the Navy is). I know that FL does not charge any income tax for active military (or anyone I believe). But if your state has a lower income tax than CA, be sure to check it is noted on your record/LES. If not, have your PSD fix it. Also, if you have a car, it may be cheaper to keep it registered in your state (and your driver's license there as well). CA tends to charge a "value tax" (for lack of a better word) as part of the registration fee when you register your car there each year. You can compare the tax rates/auto registrations by searching for them online.

Hope this helps, a little.

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
It's official! My orders came in today to report to NMCSD in January! Let the PCS craziness commence!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you everyone for the great info! This does help a LOT given my detaching command won't give me much room for househunting! If anyone out there needs/knows someone needing a roomie in Jan, I might be up for it. At least now I can start narrowing my search down. These tips will be very helpful, (Next is to find a well-managed apt complex!) and I really don't have a problem with the North Park/Hillcrest crowd.

Zissou, thank you for considering my safety, much appreciated as a single gal. ;)

Naughty Navy nurses in SD - you're going to have a blast. PM me if you want my "insider's guide" to living large in SOCAL. ;)

Brett