• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Saltier Marines - what's your best advice for a brand new 2ndLt?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's some info on flight school: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108467&postcount=1

Don't let anyone at TBS talk you out of your air contract!

When you get to API, don't just hang out with other Marines, get to know your Navy and Coastie peers. They are just like you (want to fly) only different service. There were two Marines in my API class that alienated themselves (even from the other Marines in the class) because they were too good to talk to anyone other than a Marine who wanted jets.

Another thing, don't strut around API feeling superior because you just you went to TBS and the other SNAs didn't.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE TIME OFF!!! When your studying is done and you aren't scheduled, travel, hunt, fish, camp etc etc. MWR has some great deals on outdoor activities. Also, if you end up in Corpus, the Navy ownes 7000 acres 2 hours north of Corpus and is open for hunting, fishing and camping.

Don't go through primary stressed about your NSS. Do your best and the NSS will fall into place.

While in Primary, (or advanced for that matter) don't compare your grades to your peers in order to make yourself feel good then go brag about it. I only say this because I saw this in Primary.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Plenty of great advice here. I've got 2 months left at TBS, and my best piece of info is to take advantage of the knowledge offered by the priors. They've experienced pretty much everything in terms of military skills (some obviously better than others), and most will go to great lengths to help out. Listen to and respect the enlisted Marines working with you in the field and in the classroom- they are some of the best people I've met anywhere, and really make you realize the reason that we're here. Best of luck with Alpha Co-

Reactions: E5B

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm not a Marine, but I will impart a little advice that has always worked for me in new environments and situations.

Keep both eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut until you know what's going on.

KBayDog

Here's a nugget:

It's generally not a good idea to post "personal" information - especially your medical history - on a public forum.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Here's a nugget:

It's generally not a good idea to post "personal" information - especially your medical history - on a public forum.

This a veiled reference to Mr. Wart?

Bet the staff'll have a fun time figgering out which candi-o that is.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
MWR = Mafia World Rule. Nowhere else can you buy a can of tuna for $4. But hey, all that cash goes to Sailors and Marines. Specifically, it goes to the MCAS Iwakuni gym, which cost damn near $50 million. Nice gym, though.

All kidding aside, MWR does run a lot of good programs, most of which are available at pretty good discounts from what you'd pay anywhere else. I'm mainly referring to gym memberships, SCUBA, and MWR-run trips, but they do a lot more than that. It's been a while, but MWR used to run a ski lodge at Big Bear back in the day. I almost got FAP'd out to there, but they sent me to the damned security battalion instead.

Moral of the story? Find out what's available to you and use it! Better yet, let your Marines know what's available, and encourage them to use it.

KBayDog

gaijin6423 said:
Better yet, let your Marines know what's available, and encourage them to use it.

Great call. Another awesome program (usually for sergeants and below) is the Single Marine/Sailor Program. They always have great activities for free (or dirt cheap), such as trips to sporting events, boating classes, camping trips, etc. They always seek input, so if there is something your Marines want to do, have them suggest it.

Also, make sure your Marines know about the USO lounges at most airports. They are great places to spend a layover, and will bend over backwards to help you out if you need any assistance getting from A to B.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mwr

theduke said:
what's MWR?

Every base has a Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) organization that runs the clubs, gyms, etc. and rents out outdoor equipment and has tickets for sale for events and amusement parks (if nearby). They also sponsor concerts at some locations. If near water, they may run marina and rent boats as well. That's the Cliff Notes version.

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
-Don't freak out and waste your time studying for API before you get there.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Nothing is more annoying than the guy that has every pub read before API/Primary (he still didn't qualify for jets by the way). The only thing possibly more annoying but a little funny in the end was the guy that had a total "screw it I'm an air contract" attitude in TBS then failed out of API. Gave me kind of a warm fuzzy. Just don't stress out about the B.S. in TBS enjoy the commradre.

KBayDog

^Uugh - here we go again:

No, don't study 24/7 during your time in the API/Primary/Advanced pools. Enjoy your time off. Do the drink/beach/Sammy's thing. The Corps is giving you a "vacation"; she will get hers later.

However, USE YOUR TIME WISELY. If you have access to the pubs, a few minutes a day spent skimming through them, learning an EP or two, etc. can only help you.