• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunninUte

Ute Nation
I just hope the driver did everything he could to get the sun out of his eyes, and not just accept not being able to see

Bevo16

pilot
Have you biked consistently for 2 years in that area?

Dude, I grew up in that area. My parents still live there. My wife's grandparents still live about 3 miles from where the accident took place. I grew up on a Farm to Market road just like that one. Yes, I am familiar with the geography and the roads.

There are plenty of safe places to ride in south Texas. 772 is a 2 lane Farm to Market road with no shoulders. It's a loop off of HWY 77 just southwest of Kingsville. It's not the worst place to ride, but it's not the best either. None of that was my point. My point was that this accident had nothing to do with Texas being "bike friendly" or not. It had to do with a tragic set of circumstances where a driver was blinded by afternoon sun and that resulted him sharing the same pavement as a young officer on a bike.

This accident is tragic, sad, and horrible in every aspect. I feel sympathy for the family of the kid who was killed and the driver of the truck. Nobody was "right" or "wrong". I am sure that everyone involved will second guess the circumstances for the rest of their lives.

I am sure that some people want to point fingers, but trying to say that it is due to an "unfriendly" attitude toward people on bicycles is just plain stupid.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
The last thing that I want to do is talk bad about the decision making process of someone who died a tragic death, but going for a bike ride on a 2 lane road, with no shoulders, where the speed limit is significantly different from bike speed (up to 70 mph), is not a properly ORM'd activity.

Sir, then I respectfully suggest you don't, especially if you are unsure of the particulars. I know you lived in the area, but it sounds like that is where your knowledge of this particular situation stops. From what our skipper told us it appears they did everything right. Proper gear, a good plan, a road that was bike friendly relative to other places around town, experienced riders riding in tandem on the proper side in daylight, etc. In fact he made a point of addressing their proper ORM in our AOM when he announced the tragic news to the squadron.

We just had the memorial service today, and while I agree that this has nothing to do with the "friendliness" of the driver, it also apparently has little to do with their decision making as well. There is a time and place for that discussion, but I respectfully submit that it isn't a public forum with a bunch of people with no knowledge of the details speculating before the family has even had time to bury their son.

The swiss cheese lined up for these guys. It sucks. It's tragic.

Agreed. ORM manages risk, it doesn't eliminate it. Sometimes life just sucks.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
The memorial service was very well done. NASK and TW2 did an excellent job and I think it was an excellent show of respect for the family and their loss. The flyby was a very nice touch to end it: low, fast, and loud.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think this thread has no place left to go but down.

We all feel terrible about such a tragic accident, but rehashing it and debating bicycle safety in South Texas can be done elsewhere, and at another time.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, blah blah blah This accident is tragic, sad, and horrible in every aspect. I feel sympathy for the family of the kid who was killed and the driver of the truck. Nobody was "right" or "wrong". I am sure that everyone involved will second guess the circumstances for the rest of their lives.

Be-No,

First off..."Don't call me Dude," and I won't call you Be-No.

So you have ridden your bicycle extensively on these road in a serious training fashion for the last 2 years? Yes or no. Perspective from 2 wheels is a lot different than 4.

A lot can change since you grew up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.