• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sacrifice college choice a little for NROTC?

OdeToArsenal47

Hi.

I'm jumping back and forth between the Navy and the USMC. I'll be a HS senior this fall and applying around for schools, scholarships, the whole 9 yards. I'll be going to school in the great state of Tennessee, some way or another, but here's my dilemma.

Here's my "dream sheet":
1.) Tennessee Tech
2.) Middle Tennessee State
3.) University of Memphis

One one hand, I can stay close to home and go to Middle Tennessee State. They're dirt cheap, I can get an apartment instead of a dorm, I know Murfreesboro like the back of my hand, and it's a great school. But no NROTC battalion. If I go this route, I'm going to have to do BDCP or PLC. I could do Army ROTC for a little while to make sure I'm into the military lifestyle, though.

On the other, I can travel to Cookeville and go to Tennessee Tech. Love it there. Only problem is the $. My parents don't want to foot the extra costs for me to go out of town and the only way I can go anywhere other than MTSU is through scholarships. I'm hoping some connections come through and get me a scholarship, but they might not. No NROTC battalion either. I'd have to go BDCP or PLC. They do have AROTC.

On my foot, I can go to Memphis. Don't get me wrong, Memphis is good. It's just...I'm not sure if I'm the Memphis type. But on the upside, there's a good chance that it'll be cheaper to go to Memphis than staying at home. And they have an NROTC battalion. I liked it there, but nobody was on campus when I visited because of spring break. And the neighborhoods around it are not the best. And I'd have to live on campus because the off-campus housing around the area is down right dangerous. But I can do NROTC here and it'd be cheap. And a totally different experience (I'd probably be one of less than 10 that go to Memphis from my HS of 2000+), too.

My question is, which seems best? I'm not going to apply for the 4-year ROTC scholarship because I'm afraid of that commitment before I've even jumped in yet because you never know. Would BDCP net me a greater chance at netting my dream job (NFO) over ROTC, do I have it backwards, or is it completely the same? Basically, if you were in my shoes, which way would you go and why?

Thanks so much for your time, this board answers so many of my questions. And I'm sorry if this is beating a dead horse, I searched for a good 10 minutes and couldn't find anything specific on this.

EDIT: If it matters at all, here are my stats.

http://college.mychances.net/view/?id=44460&app=college

beaverslayer

pilot
My question is, which seems best? I'm not going to apply for the 4-year ROTC scholarship because I'm afraid of that commitment before I've even jumped in yet because you never know. Would BDCP net me a greater chance at netting my dream job (NFO) over ROTC, do I have it backwards, or is it completely the same? Basically, if you were in my shoes, which way would you go and why?

When you apply to BDCP or a direct accession to OCS, you apply for a specific job. In your case, you said you want NFO, so you would apply for that. If you get accepted for that designator, you are good to go. If you get turned down, you are back to square one with no commitments or anything and you are free to re-apply at a later date. With the ROTC, you can put in your preferences, but in the end the Big Navy will decide where you end up based partially on your performance and mostly on what they need at the time you graduate.

As to what college you go to, what matters most is that you go to a place that you will like, and that you will enjoy your time there. I personally did not do ROTC, because the college I wanted to go to didn't offer it, and I would not recommend going somewhere you don't really want to go to just because they have that option. BDCP, PLC, or DA are all great options that are available no matter what college you go to.

I went to my first choice college that did not offer NROTC, didn't get accepted into the BDCP, re-applied, and got in as a DA to OCS with a pilot contract. So here I am, college degree in hand, 4 weeks from OCS, and I have absolutely no regrets. A freaking ton of debt to repay, but no regrets. So take that for whatever it's worth.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to Tennessee? An ROTC scholarship will cover out-of-state or private tuition.

My best advice is look to go where you'll be happiest...after all, you're going to be spending 4 of the most formative years of your life here.

I've said this before, I'll say it again: ROTC is a great program for high school seniors who have decided to join the Navy, BDCP is great for those already in college and have decided to join.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Random thoughts:

-Don't do something you don't want (AF, Army) just for money.

-Staying at a school because it's close to home or you'll know people there from high school is a terrible idea. Get out and explore. You don't have to go super far, but high school and what you did then is soon about to matter for jack squat. No one likes the dude who goes home every weekend either. Live in the dorms, get to know new people.

-If you're interested in NROTC, aren't you hindering yourself by going to a school without a NROTC program? ROTC types have told me the first year is free, even if you choose not to continue. Don't quote me on that though, I'll let an ROTC bubba chime in on the specifics.

-I partied in Memphis by the U of Memphis campus. Good times and good people, especially the girls soccer team (well, circa 2008). Downtown Memphis is okay, Beale St is a little touristy. Aside from that, standard mid-size southern city.

Looking back, I wish I would've done NROTC. I've got a bunch of student loans compared to my fellow Ensigns who have nothing. But I enjoyed college, as should everyone. Life only gets more complicated...

OdeToArsenal47

Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to Tennessee? An ROTC scholarship will cover out-of-state or private tuition.

My best advice is look to go where you'll be happiest...after all, you're going to be spending 4 of the most formative years of your life here.

I've said this before, I'll say it again: ROTC is a great program for high school seniors who have decided to join the Navy, BDCP is great for those already in college and have decided to join.

For now, I'll be staying in Tennessee because I don't want to do the 4 year scholarship. But if I go for ROTC, I could transfer out of state and do the 2 year, correct? That's always an option. There's no 3 year scholarship, right?

And, out of curiosity, what if I want to do Navy ROTC all 4 years but never get a scholarship? Do they kick you out or let you stay?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm not going to apply for the 4-year ROTC scholarship because I'm afraid of that commitment before I've even jumped in yet because you never know.

Used to be that even with a four year scholarship that you could do the first year to get a feel for it and even go to summer cruise and then quit with no string attached. When I was a mid one of the first things we did sophmore year was sign on the dotted line. But I had buddies who got out. They got a free year of college.

This just a casual observation on my part, but it seems that it gets harder and harder to get into the navy as you get older. A 2yr scholarship is harder to get than a 4yr scholarship. BDCP is harder to get into than NROTC and is in way a guarantee. OCS after college seems even more selective. Like I said, just an observation on my part.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Hi.

I'm jumping back and forth between the Navy and the USMC. I'll be a HS senior this fall and applying around for schools, scholarships, the whole 9 yards. I'll be going to school in the great state of Tennessee, some way or another, but here's my dilemma.

Here's my "dream sheet":
1.) Tennessee Tech
2.) Middle Tennessee State
3.) University of Memphis

One one hand, I can stay close to home and go to Middle Tennessee State. They're dirt cheap, I can get an apartment instead of a dorm, I know Murfreesboro like the back of my hand, and it's a great school. But no NROTC battalion. If I go this route, I'm going to have to do BDCP or PLC. I could do Army ROTC for a little while to make sure I'm into the military lifestyle, though.

Almost anybody can do the hometown school thing these days. It's an okay option if you want to stay in that region forever. Maybe you do if the military thing falls through. Maybe not. Let me just say that all of my friends who didn't go abroad after high school but did go to the local state school all pretty much got employment, but they're not "going places." Many also have small minds which is sad. As for AROTC, mmm, you're not going to get the military lifestyle. You're going to get college with some extra rules which you'll most likely bail on because your heart's not in it. I've heard this song before.

On the other, I can travel to Cookeville and go to Tennessee Tech. Love it there. Only problem is the $. My parents don't want to foot the extra costs for me to go out of town and the only way I can go anywhere other than MTSU is through scholarships. I'm hoping some connections come through and get me a scholarship, but they might not. No NROTC battalion either. I'd have to go BDCP or PLC. They do have AROTC.

Bully for you. Still in state. Away from your comfort zone in a place that you still like. Broadening your horizons and making new connections. You may know it, or I might be talking to the wall, but your high school friends won't be your best friends after 10 years. Most of my best HS friends suck now. I've kept my college friends pretty close so far. Still don't recommend AROTC.

On my foot, I can go to Memphis. Don't get me wrong, Memphis is good. It's just...I'm not sure if I'm the Memphis type. But on the upside, there's a good chance that it'll be cheaper to go to Memphis than staying at home. And they have an NROTC battalion. I liked it there, but nobody was on campus when I visited because of spring break. And the neighborhoods around it are not the best. And I'd have to live on campus because the off-campus housing around the area is down right dangerous. But I can do NROTC here and it'd be cheap. And a totally different experience (I'd probably be one of less than 10 that go to Memphis from my HS of 2000+), too.

Now your talking. It has a NROTC Bn, foremost. Next, it's still in state, but it's completely different. I'm from south Georgia. I was never an Atlanta person. It was like a different world. The difference was way bigger than the difference between Murfreesboro and Memphis. I still went because I had to. It was the only respectable school in the state that had a NROTC. It was probably one of the top ten best life decision I've ever made. Atlanta is a pearl floating in a pool of grits. Moral, you don't know what you don't know, especially when you're going from town to bigger town. As far as dangerous neighborhoods off campus...Dealt with that, too. As if my urban campus wasn't sketchy enough, I did a lot of time at the sister NROTC unit at Morehead College in west Atlanta. I loved everybody there, but the unit was right on the edge of campus, and PT'ing through there and around the GA Dome in the dark hours of the morning were, uh, interesting. Just be smart, tread lightly, and you'll be fine.

In your shoes, I'd apply for the ROTC scholarship yesterday and go to the school far from home. "You never know" what? You already want to be in the Navy or Marine Corps, right? It's your dream, right? You're still going to join. Let them pay for school and some uniforms. You'll graduate with NO DEBT. Those are simple words, but they will mean something until the day you die. Then take your parents' college money stash and live like a rock star.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
For now, I'll be staying in Tennessee because I don't want to do the 4 year scholarship. But if I go for ROTC, I could transfer out of state and do the 2 year, correct? That's always an option. There's no 3 year scholarship, right?

Personally, I think your options should be 4-yr ROTC scholarship or BDCP. The two-year scholarship just doesn't seem to stack up to the benefits you'll get from BDCP, whereas the the 4-year will pick up a hefty tuition tab, leaving you with room and board and living expenses.

OdeToArsenal47

In your shoes, I'd apply for the ROTC scholarship yesterday and go to the school far from home. "You never know" what? You already want to be in the Navy or Marine Corps, right? It's your dream, right? You're still going to join. Let them pay for school and some uniforms. You'll graduate with NO DEBT. Those are simple words, but they will mean something until the day you die. Then take your parents' college money stash and live like a rock star.

You're really starting to sell me here. Yeah, joining is my dream and I really want it. But here's a significant catch: My parents have explicitly told me that if I apply for the ROTC scholarship, they're going to cut ALL funding for my college. They're staunchly anti-military ever since my cousin went to the Air Force and told them he was gay so he could leave BMT. They say it's going to suck the life out of me. They say I'm going to die in North Korea. They say I can't make a decision this big.

They're that against it, even though I've showed them everything I know about it and that I can jump out after the first year if I don't like it. Maybe they're just ornery on it and after I apply they'll lighten up a little. But if I get the scholarship, I won't even have to think about their money. I'd have $4000 on the side from the state's HOPE scholarship AND a guaranteed $5500 chancellor's scholarship for my grades. But if I don't get the scholarship, I'm going to have to get loans out the wazoo. Under this option, I'd still go to Memphis because the cost would be cheaper to live on campus there than off campus at MTSU. But, I'd be in about $15k in debt before graduating. But that isn't that bad compared to people who go to Ivies on the tab of a bank.

More than anything I just want to just go out and apply and take that leap of faith. That leap of faith is the only way I'm going to get out of this town and do my own thing independent of them, and if that doesn't show them that I've matured enough to make my own decisions and commitments, then they'll have to accept it. But at the same time I'm worried about that fallback. I wish I could just grab a guy off of the boards and have him say "Yeah, you'll make it" or "Hell no".

EDIT: Well, now thinking about it, I think I had already made my decision before I made this topic. I just needed someone to tell me.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
G2G. Seriously. It's your life, not your parents. I can see the funding thing kinda, but do you think they'd get even more pissed if you used them for four years of funding and then did what you want later anyway?

Again, it's your life, your decisions, etc. As was stated above, if after the first year you find it's not you then you can walk away with no committment. Maybe you can sell it to your parents that way. Or you could be a smart ass like I would be in dealing with them, but living with them for another year it may be wise not to.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Some advice and $0.02...

-- If your goal is to become a Naval Officer, go to the college that will best help you acheive that goal, even it if involves moving out-of-state. This means the college that offers you the most money, scholarships, and opportunity for a commission. If your parents don't want to foot the extra costs, which they shouldn't have to, suck it up and get loans or scholarships like everyone else.

-- Think ahead and choose your degree wisely. That is, something that will be helpful to you both in and out of the military. Examples: Mathematics, Engineering, Advanced Finance, etc. This is especially true if you are want to be a Pilot, Nuclear Propulsion Officer, Supply Officer, etc. That Psychology degree is not going to do sh*t for you.

- Pilot, NFO, Nuclear Propulsion Officer, Engineering Duty Officer = Electrical/Nuclear/Aeronautical Engineering, Mathematics

- CEC Officer (Seabee) = Civil/Mechanical/Structural Engineering

- Information Warfare, Information Professional = Computer Science, Computer/Software/Network Engineering, Computer Security

- Intelligence Officer, Defense Attache = Country & Foreign language specialization or study, Strategic Intelligence studies, Category III (Greek, Hebrew, Moro, Persian-Farsi, Persian-Afghan, Afghan, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Uzbek, and Vietnamese) or Category IV (
Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) languages especially.

- Supply Officer = Advanced Finance, Logistics, Accounting

You get the idea...

-- Also keep in mind that that nobody cares about where you went to school or that your particular school was rated XYZ. This includes the Ivies. If you can get a full-ROTC scholoarship at an Ivy or gain acceptance into USNA then great. With that said, I would take a full-ROTC ride at Po-Dunk University over being accepted into and having to pay for an Ivy education. It's not worth it.

Do not try... Do your best.

Please keep us posted! Exciting times ahead!

Casual

Jammin'
None
This is especially true if you are want to be a Pilot, Nuclear Propulsion Officer, Supply Officer, etc. That Psychology degree is not going to do sh*t for you.

I know plenty of people with a history, political science, criminal justice, etc degree who are pilots/NFOs. Do whatever you are interested in and will excel at. A 2.5 in an Engineering degree doesn't look better than a 3.5 in history, at least to the Navy. That being said, I have an engineering degree :)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
-- Think ahead and choose your degree wisely. That is, something that will be helpful to you both in and out of the military. Examples: Mathematics, Engineering, Advanced Finance, etc. This is especially true if you are want to be a Pilot, Nuclear Propulsion Officer, Supply Officer, etc. That Psychology degree is not going to do sh*t for you.

No...wrong....see here for discussion....http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140039&highlight=degree

My BS in Health Promotion is only one example. I do the same job just as well as the EE degreed guy next to me.