• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

%'s - Helo's vs. Fixed Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRad

Does anyone know what percentages of USMC pilots end up flying Helo's vs. Fixed Wing aircraft?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I think it's roughly 60%+ Helos, 30% Jets, and 10% Props. That's just an estimate that I've gathered through various sources, and it's nothing to base a decision on. Phrogdriver, 46Driver, BigWorm, or any other Marine aviators/studs will know better than I will.

schn0354

OCS 22 JAN 2005, NFO
According to an OSO recruiter, about 60% helo, 40% fixed wing. It would be interesting to get actual inventory stats and USMC needs for pilots and NFOs in the pipeline. Of course, the best guarantee to get first choice, is to graduate #1 from flight school.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I'd say those numbers are in the ballpark. Just remember that much depends on when you select: some weeks are jet drafts while other times there are helo drafts (i.e., many more of 1 type of slots than the other)

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Proceedings puts out a huge list of Navy and Marine Corps assets every year including every squadron. So you could look through and see just how many squadrons there are for each aircraft.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It'd be hard to figure out from a list of squadrons, since different types of squadrons have different numbers of aircraft. E.g. CH-46 squadrons have 12 aircraft, while skid squadrons have 2 types of birds, and EA-6B squadrons have 5 ea (I think--they've changed it a couple times in the last few years). Like 46Driver said, your selection week may be all one or the other. Props can also be very hard to come by. Some weeks may have no C-130s at all.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
You've got to realize the chances of getting something that you didn't "intend" to, and still be happy flying and serving your country.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Yes and No - there are just too many variables to predict anything. Many airlines will not count helo time at all - they don't consider it real flying. However, as a helo pilot, you can come back and get a tour instructing and build up thousands of T-34C hours.

The airlines are not what they used to be. Many of the traditional "legacy" carriers are in deep trouble and are being forced to take major paycuts and work rule adjustments. Right now, I tell everyone to stay in, take the $25k per year bonus, and get your retirement. However, all of this could change in 5 to 10 years. Also, picking the "right" airline is just as much a crapshoot as selection at primary. I've got friends who had thousands of multi-engine PIC turbine time who went to United, American, etc and are now furloughed and unemployed. Meanwhile, my company is growing and buying Airbus 320's. It really is luck to a large extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.