• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

S-3 Crashes near NAS Jax

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Names were released today, I knew both and flew with 1 before. My prayers to their families.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
JetJunkie (just like what apparently happened with MiG-killer CAPT H.M. "Hank" Kleeman at [/QUOTE said:
Just for the record, he wasn't a MIG killer but a SU killer.

Anyway, my prayers go out to the families of those fallen aviators :(

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
I went to school with Tom "Corn" Blake (NFO). Even though I haven't seen him since playing basketball at UNL ROTC among other acitivities he is just one of those guys you don't forget. An awesome guy all around, one of the most genuine I've known in my military career. He will be missed!

Lot's of rumors going about the incident, I will leave that for the safety investigation to finalize but it sounds like they may have been on a FCF; which would possibly explain why there was only two onboard.

beau

Fly Navy said:
Even if a seat is out of envelope, it's going to fire.

Maybe I worded that wrong (or not enough)....that is exactly what I meant by saying "OR maybe it was an out of envolope situation"....meaning a Departure or Roll close to the ground in which the back seats made it and....well.... you get the picture.

Remember dude I ride the same seat you do.....Rule Number one in my mind...if you are going to pull the handle...do it in time to save your life.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
beau said:
Remember dude I ride the same seat you do.....Rule Number one in my mind...if you are going to pull the handle...do it in time to save your life.

Oh I know, which is why I was confused by the way you worded it. I was like "he should know better..."

Thanks for clearing up. :icon_smil

Pugs

Back from the range
None
HAL Pilot said:
Small world, I was the Conning Officer on TR when that happened.

I had a few memorable events while on the TR's bridge as either the Conning Officer or OOD. You were probably on board for most of them:
1. The EA-6B parting the wire.
2. Ramming a whale and having him stick on the bow. (we had to pry him off - I picked up the call sign of Ahab for a while from Snort).
3. USS Leyte Gulf fodding our flight deck with chaff during recovery the 1st or 2nd night of Desert Storm when she decided our returning aircraft were inbound missles.
4. FA-18 Rag CQ with a former A-7 driver and current FA-18 PXO who did an almost perfect loop off the cat and tried to spear the middle of the flight deck before ejecting (discussed at least a year ago on this board while examining the CVNs manueverability).
5. Watching a young Sailor get sucked into and crawl out of an A-6 intake (which now has video all over the internet).
6. Watching the COD swing its wing into another aircraft while the yellow shirt was frantically trying to get him to stop. The COD pilot blamed it on a slippery deck and a large heel while the ship turned. (We were going straight and the deck was level, the non-skid was kind of wore. He just wasn't paying attention. Our CO saw the whole thing and almost banned the guy from ever landing on TR again.)
7. Pushing a battle damaged A-6 over the side after he trapped.
8. Taking over the watching and getting to scream "all engines emergency back full" within 10 seconds of assuming while approaching the Suez Canal. Right as I relieved him, the off going OOD said "Oh yeah, we got this guy to starboard that I haven't figured out yet....." The other guy passed about 200 yards in front of us.

My guess is you were probably onboard for all but the FA-18.

End of thread jack.

Yep there for all of it but the Hornet. Since we were ready one after we hit the whale wandered up to watch the sharks attack as we (well, you I guess!) backed down.
When the wire parted on 624 I was standing next to the E-2 below the tower waiting to hot switch into it (it was their last trap, no traps for Pugs that day :(). Another funny story of that ejection was ECMO 3, "Pysco" who weighed about 160 lbs in gear and was the first out. Everyone else was in the water already and he was still floating down wind. Had time to drop his raft and inflate the LPU but lost his glasses. Hit the water and could see the boat and that the H-3 was already on top of the other guys, we were off Bermuda so the water was warm so he decided to just stay put. About that time a gray fin goes cutting across in front of him in the four foot or so seas. Holy crap! He jumps in his trusty craft, sea dye marker out, flares, smoke, PRC calls. Turns out the "shark" was one of the empty drops off the jet that had ripped off, flipped upside down and was drifting around. The TR boat crew did a great job launching a boat and picked him shortly thereafter. Led to a short change in callsigns but Psyco was, and will always be, Psyco.

I was sitting in the RR watching when that troubleshooter went down the intake.
Pugs