• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RW PPL - still bypass IFS?

LivingSacrifice

Hey guys, I've looked around on here and haven't come up with an answer to this question...

If you have a RW PPL going into IFS, do you still skip it? The IFS FAQ page just said private pilots were exempt. It seems odd that they'd count helo time if you're not even in helos until Advanced -- unless they're more concerned with your ability to fly and make your way around in general, rather than with specific your skills in an airplane.

Anybody have any insight?

Thanks.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I don't know the answer, but if I was a betting man, I would guess that you are exempt. The purpose of IFS is to pre-screen SNAs to ensure that they are not wasting everyone's time with respect to being suited for aviation, not to get guys extra flights or to prepare them for primary.

torpedo0126

If you have a PPL or have completed A XC solo, you are exempt from IFS. IFS is fun though, so if you aren't enjoy the free flying time.

FlyinRock

AS far as I know it doesn't stipulate RW/FW. A pilot license is a pilot license. As others have said/will say, you'll most likely bypass IFS which is a screening process to save the g'mint money.
I can only recall once when a student came through my IFS program with a license but it was over five years old and he hadn't flown since getting it.
Your going through IFS would get you into the FW mode and should prove to be pretty easy. I'm a reasonably high time RW instructor as well.
Been an IFS instructor since 2005.
Semper Fi
Rocky

LivingSacrifice

Thanks for the info guys. I'm nowhere near that point yet, but was just trying to get a general timeline in my head. I assumed that I would need to go through IFS, which I was actually looking forward to. I would never turn down more stick time. Although, if I was exempt and had no choice, I'd also be happy to get on to bigger, badder stuff sooner, as Slammer said.

So I am assuming you want to select helos.
Yep. That's the plan anyway. I'm applying for the Coast Guard's Blue 21 (guaranteed flight out of OCS) program and would like to stick with helos. We'll see how it all pans out, because I've read that only the top three spots actually get a choice. So that's just the general goal for the time being.

I had a comm helo with very little fw time. No IFS but this was years ago (2001)
Did you end up in helos?

MasterBates

Our class wasn't eligible for IFS, since IFS had not started yet.

I thought IFS was just starting up then, I didn't do it because I held a ticket already.

It has been a long time, and I am currently too hung over to remember totally.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I assumed that I would need to go through IFS, which I was actually looking forward to. I would never turn down more yoke time. Although, if I was exempt and had no choice, I'd also be happy to get on to whiter and oranger, and simpler stuff sooner, as Slammer said.

Fixed for you ^

Question for those of you who started out in helos, or spent a good deal of time flying helos before coming back as an IP......was it hard to make the transition back to FW flying?

MasterBates

Not really.. Took me maybe 2-3 flights in the T-34 to knock the rust off. .

I could have jumped out of the 60 into a 34 or 44 and not killed myself. 45.. not so much.