• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RV Park Reviews

MasterBates

In the spirit of my BOQ Thread, I am reviewing RV parks I have stayed in. This may be helpful to those going near a base on vacation, geo-baching in an RV where geo-bach is not allowed, kicked out of your house, living cheaply, whatever your need for the park info is, I will try to give info in the same format.. General, amenities, rates, what's in walking/biking distance, and what is close in the area.

NAS Kingsville RV Park. On NAS Kingsville.
Rate $245 a month for full hookups. Water, Sewer 15/30/50 amp.
Spots A-E are the best laid out and close to the bathouse/laundromat
Spots 1-9 Have full hookups, but the utility layout may need extra hose/cable for some. I lived on spot C.

Each spot has a little covered picnic hooch. My picnic table was out on the grass when I got there, and I used the hooch as a parking spot for my bike.

Park amenities:
Bathhouse with 2 bathroom/showers. Useful in case you forgot your hose, and need to take a shower, or you have a bucnh of people.
Laundry room.. HUGE frontloaders. $1.50 for the washer, and the dryer usually takes about $0.75 to dry a load.

RV Dump site that is pull through on your way out (if you are just weekending on a "primitive" spot)

5-10 minute walk to:
Base Club/Bar
CTW-2 and Base headquarters
Library/Coffee shop
Navy Federal
Commissary/Nex
VT-21 & VT-22

Anything on base is a 5-10 min (at most) bike ride.

Anything in Kingsville is a 5-15 minute drive. It's about 4 miles to the Super Wal-Mart, Lowes, Chilis, Starbucks, etc. 45-60 minute drive to Corpus Christi depending on where in town you are going.

Things to watch out for:
Tarantulas when it rains (applies to ALL of Krock)
NO SHADE in RV Park. And it's too windy to leave your awning out.
Base security is contractors, and they can be hit or miss depending on the shift. They tried to make me empty my whole RV (bring outside EVERYTHING, pots, pans, clothes, boxes, not just open cabinets/doors) in the inspection area. I made the watch commander come out, and sanity prevailed.

NOTHING is open on base after 1800 or so.. Or on the weekend. Make sure you have what you need, or you will be schlepping to Wal-Mart, which coincidently is apparently the best entertainment in Krock when A&M is not in session.

Park Availability:
From May-September, it's normally wide open. Oct-April, you may be fighting the "Winter Texans" for spots.

Mail:
Post Office on base has PO Boxes. $20 for 6 months.. Downside, post office is only open from 10-14 M-F, so you need to hit them at lunch if you have a pakage, certified mail, etc.

Overall Value:
For me, its great.. $245 includes all utils, and AC runs nonstop here in summer. I'd probably be spending $180 a month just for electricity in town.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
cousin_eddie-med.bmp

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Man, that kicks ass. Wait 'til the JO's green light your ass, you'll be a f-ing hero. Think of the stories:
Squadron JO hooks up with "Edna" the 50-something RV park floozie...
UFC fight nite at the RV park.
"Real tomato ketchup Eddie?" "Nothing but the best, Clark"

On a side note, a bro is looking into the RV park in Brunswick. But the f-kers close during the winter...sissies.

MasterBates

NAS Corpus Christi RV Park. On NAS Corpus.
Rate $430 a month for full hookups. Water, Sewer, on a 50 amp spot.
Spots 1-12 are 30 AMP no sewer. $11/night
Spots 13-35 are 30 amp, full hookups. $13/night
Spots 36-68 are 50 amp, full hookups, with concrete pad. $15/night
Monthly rate is 2 days off the daily rate for a month paid in advance

30 amp non-sewer spots have a shelter with them.
30 amp full hookups are smaller ashpalt pads that are big enough to get the RV on, but you park on the dirt.
50 amp spots have a pad that I could park my F-250 and RV side by each.

Park amenities:
LARGE Bathhouse with bathroom/showers. Useful in case you forgot your hose, and need to take a shower, or you have a bunch of people.
Laundry room.. 4 normal washers, 6 dyers. $1.00 each for the washer and dryer.

RV Dump site that is pull through on your way out (if you are just weekending on a 30A spot)

5-10 minute walk to:
Base Club/Bar
BOQ
Beach
Fishing Pier

Anything on base is a 5-15 min bike ride.

Anything in Corpus is a 5-30 minute drive. It's about 4 miles to the Wal-Mart, Super HEB and anything else in the Bluff.

Things to watch out for:
NO SHADE in RV Park. And it's too windy to leave your awning out.
Park rule nazi. She's gone now, but there always is one.
Cougar rich environment.

Park Availability:
From May-September, it's normally wide open. Oct-April, you may be fighting the "Winter Texans" for spots.

Mail:
Post Office on base has PO Boxes. $30 for 6 months.. Downside, post office is only open from 0800-1500 M-F, so you need to hit them at lunch if you have a pakage, certified mail, etc. They also recieve FedEx, UPS, etc.

Overall Value:
Not bad. But not as cheap as Krock. With the higher BAH in Corpus, I have about the same in my pocket. $430 includes all utils.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
So every time it rains they come out to play? What about Corpus? They stay out of houses, right?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
So you're saying I should buy a can of tarantula spray? Why do I have a feeling it'd be like opening up the sea chest or getting a can of prop wash?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
So you're saying I should buy a can of tarantula spray? Why do I have a feeling it'd be like opening up the sea chest or getting a can of prop wash?

They're just a bit bigger than the wolf spiders we have up here in the NW, just man up and capture them as pets. :icon_wink