• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian T-50 better than F-22???

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the article has the Russians bragging that it has HOTAS. Great. Welcome to the 1980s. :icon_tong

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
So the article has the Russians bragging that it has HOTAS. Great. Welcome to the 1980s. :icon_tong

They had off axis missile launch capability much sooner than us if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure our -9X is what finally caught us up in that realm. Now, we all know it's politics, he has to say that :)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Okay, let's assume temporarily that it IS better.

They still only have one. . . is it better than 100 F-22's?

Survey says "no". We win again. :)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
""This machine will be superior to our main competitor, the F-22, in terms of maneuverability, weaponry and range," Putin told the pilot after the flight, according to an account on the government website"

""I know, I've flown," Putin replied

vladimir-putin-on-hoilday-pic-549464373.jpg

He seems like an expert...

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
All I know is that the Russians make one thing that might be better than anything the US has.................................................ejection seats.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Okay, let's assume temporarily that it IS better.

They still only have one. . . is it better than 100 F-22's?

Survey says "no". We win again. :)

What you have to remember, though, is that the American F-22 fleet is extremely busy with the airshow circuit...they can't really be bothered with other missions, such as war.

magnetfreezer

What you have to remember, though, is that the American F-22 fleet is extremely busy with the airshow circuit...they can't really be bothered with other missions, such as war.

While they have the "A" designation, and can certainly do some air-to-ground wor, it doesn't make sense to wear down that expensive of an asset in a very low air threat environment. The AF is developing many planes for the current war - MC-12, UAVs, other ISR assets (as is the Navy/MC with some of their current announced UAVs); the F-22 is a fighter for the next war. The AF F-15Cs (dedicated air superiority fighters) are experiencing the same issue; while they are part of the homeland defense effort, there is not much call for MIG-killing until we go up against a country with MIGs.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Russians alway seem to have the next big superweapon that never quite pans out.

Supercavitating torpedos that travel 200knots when they don't blow up the sub that shoots them...100 megaton bombs too big for a plane to carry...T-72 tanks that could beat an M1A1, if only their ammo could dent its hull...a new SLBM that's better than Trident when it stops blowing up on the pad....

I'm not so worried about this one.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Same was said about the Mig-29 for example. F-15C's are what, 11-0 agains the Mig-29 (US and Israeli)....meaning it's about the pilot as well.