• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Ambassador to Turkey assassinated

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It appears the killer was a Turkish policeman with strong sympathies to the Syrians in Aleppo. The video shows a clear shot to the heart that likely killed Karlov quickly.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Shades of Russo-Turkish War, 1877 - 1878!

But realistically, this combined with the terror-truck attack in Germany likely spells the end of Merkel's time in Germany.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
RT news reports that Erdogan's regime is already playing up the shooter's [real or imagined] affiliation with Gulenists. "Never let a good crisis go to waste." Don't assume just yet that this event will actually worsen relations between Russia and Turkey - jury's still out.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
RT news reports that Erdogan's regime is already playing up the shooter's [real or imagined] affiliation with Gulenists.

If this unfolds in a way similar to the Summer coup - why would Erdogan need this? Sure, he very clearly hates Gulen and anybody who's ever given him the time of day - but he has complete control of the government, and is conducting sweeping purges, all completely unchallenged by anybody.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RT news reports that Erdogan's regime is already playing up the shooter's [real or imagined] affiliation with Gulenists. "Never let a good crisis go to waste." Don't assume just yet that this event will actually worsen relations between Russia and Turkey - jury's still out.

Because we all know that when one needs a trusted and reliable news source you can always rely on RT.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I figured RT would be the most skeptical news outlet in this case, and if RT was reporting it, then Russia at least tacitly approved of giving credibility to the allegation. If Russia didn't think the alleged Gulen link was at least plausible, RT never would have floated it.

P.S. I predict a conspiracy theory will surface claiming that Putin arranged/ordered the hit on purpose. Reasons given could include:

- eliminate an untrustworthy/ expendable diplomat (who may have privately disagreed with Putin and/or been a liability in some way),

- create a reason for Erdogan to seek to extradict Gulen/ tighten internal controls even further (possibly as part of a longer term quid pro quo between Putin and Erdogan)

- create world sympathy for Russia in the wake of Aleppo (i.e. to disrupt or reverse the recently prevailing global narrative of "Russia bad; Aleppo victim"),

- coerce (guilt-trip) Turkey into being more cooperative with Russia, or if not, it gives Russia an excuse to operate more freely/ unilaterally within Turkey for "counter-terror"

Not that such a conspiracy theory is actually true. But I basically view Putin as Machiavelli in the 21st century - who is above nothing if it helps him achieve his objectives.

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
ot that such a conspiracy theory is actually true. But I basically view Putin as Machiavelli in the 21st century - who is above nothing if it helps him achieve his objectives.
Occam's razor. Most likely a Jihadi within the Turkish security aperatis who had a bad night watching news reports from Syria. How the Russians respond to a NATO member is what worries me. I pray that the folks at the White House and State do their jobs tonight and not wallow in post election jackassery.