• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Russia building barracks at Syrian airport

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like a Turkish F-16 pilot is painting a Russian star underneath his canopy this morning.....

Eh? Is there any reporting more reliable than Brit tabloids that actually say that happened? I would hate to denigrate newspapers that have British us years of Page 3 girls and the latest Royal scandals but this is the real world.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Eh? Is there any reporting more reliable than Brit tabloids that actually say that happened? I would hate to denigrate newspapers that have British us years of Page 3 girls and the latest Royal scandals but this is the real world.
Agreed - this is hasty reporting via Twitterverse

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Never, EVER denigrate The Sun and Page 3 which gave us Michelle Marsh, Keeley Hazell and Lucy Pinder. If only American papers had such in-depth and completely natural reporting.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

michelle-marsh-23221.jpg

keeley_hazell_in_blue_lingerie_by_tfok-d33qo5e.jpg

Lucy-Pinder-hot-pics1.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the Russians are sporty enough to deliberately bump heads with a NATO member. Shoring up Assad couldn't possibly be worth the risk. Having said that: the Russians haven't done any real theater air control in decades - their live-fire exercises in Georgia and the Crimea notwithstanding. Spillovers into Turkish airspace would be very bad. The Turkish military is feeling very grouchy with Erdogan's government, the problems with the Kurds, Syrian refugees, etc....they're in no mood to de-escalate or look the other way for incursions, deliberate or not.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't think the Russians are sporty enough to deliberately bump heads with a NATO member. Shoring up Assad couldn't possibly be worth the risk. Having said that: the Russians haven't done any real theater air control in decades - their live-fire exercises in Georgia and the Crimea notwithstanding. Spillovers into Turkish airspace would be very bad. The Turkish military is feeling very grouchy with Erdogan's government, the problems with the Kurds, Syrian refugees, etc....they're in no mood to de-escalate or look the other way for incursions, deliberate or not.

I hope I am wrong but I disagree - you will see something "happen" between Russia and Turkey. Russia has a limited window to accomplish its objectives due to a demographic implosion and a loss of leverage as Europe diversifies its energy supplies. Meanwhile on our side, Turkey is in convulsions. A number of NATO countries have public opinion polls showing they will not support NATO mutual defense treaty obligations. Europe is unraveling with massive migrations into Europe infuriating member countries as their national sovereignty is over-ridden by Brussels / Berlin. Finally we are focused on Asia internationally while domestically reaching levels of political hostility among ourselves not seen since perhaps the 1860's. Russia will act out of weakness, the sound of a clock ticking and a sense of division in the West.

Again, I hope I am wrong but this is starting to feel like the summer of 1914.

jmcquate

Contributor
Again, I hope I am wrong but this is starting to feel like the summer of 1914.
This won't be the "Guns of August". Nuclear weapons have keep us from that for 70 years, and they still will...........but that doesn't mean that things won't get weird. The Turks and Greeks have gotten sporty with air to air, and I have no faith in the discipline of Russian or Turkish pilots.