• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

running problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmer

farmer
i was just curious, i consider myself in pretty good shape and what not, i can run roughly 18 min 3 mile run, but lately when i run this, right at about the 2.5 mile mark i get this intense side ach. the thing is, if i choose to ignore it, like i usually do and keep running til i finish, my side will be really sore the next day. i was just curious if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has any idea what might be causing this? i have an idea that it might be because of hydration problems, and if this is the case, how much water should i be drinking every day with this kind of PT?

T-man

Hydration could be an issue - as a general rule that I've been told, you can never drink too much water. I'm not expert of course, but there may be something else at play here, like a lack of a certain mineral or vitamin. With that in mind, I'm curious what your diet is like, and whether or not you're taking any supliments. personally I take a multi vitamin and calcium as well as consiously keep a balanced diet (all 4 food groups at each meal, and very limited junk food).

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
potassium, bud.

and the supplements are crap, fit at least one banana in your diet every day.
also keeps your legs from cramping up during crunches.

but then again, i´m no doc.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
michaels601 said:
potassium, bud.

and the supplements are crap, fit at least one banana in your diet every day.
also keeps your legs from cramping up during crunches.

but then again, i´m no doc.

Well,

You might not be a doc, but, your advice is pretty accurate about the banana. My guess is that the original posters problems relate to electolyte imbalance and subsequent cramping. I suggest that he imbibe in some gatorade and a banana about 30 minutes or so prior to the run. Also, don't let the gatorade be your only source of fluid intake prior to the run. Make sure you are well hydrated a couple hours before.

Status
Not open for further replies.