• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running and Vitamins

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCSCAND

I am currently increasing my running regiment and was wondering if people suggest using any type of multi-vitaming or other pills for joint health. I hear mixed reviews on this and was wondering if anybody has any personal accounts. Basically I just want to do what I can to ensure strong joints and healthy knees. Thanks for any input.

DairyCreamer

OCSCAND said:
I am currently increasing my running regiment and was wondering if people suggest using any type of multi-vitaming or other pills for joint health. I hear mixed reviews on this and was wondering if anybody has any personal accounts. Basically I just want to do what I can to ensure strong joints and healthy knees. Thanks for any input.

I'm no health expert at all, zees ees just my opinion.

I pretty much take one Centrum a day (not continually though, dont want to risk too big a buildup of fat-soluable vitamins). Anyway, Centrum is cheap, a bottle of 180 tablets lasts a half a year at least, and it has just about every vitamin and mineral under the sun. There are other supplements out there to be sure, but this is the only pill I take consistently.

I've read that glucosamine and condriotin supplements do virtually nothing for your cartelige and joint health when healthy (in case you are considering it). It appears it can possibly have a positive effect for those with osteoarthritis, but for joint health, I'd just say treat them right and dont abuse them. Listen to your body when exercising, and if something is painful, stop.

Go to a professional running store and get a gait analysis (they should be free, else go somewhere else). That will help you get running shoes with proper support for the way you run. I, personally, am extremely over-pronated when running, and need a lot more arch support than the typical running shoe provides. When I got good shoes though, my run times dropped, and my feet stopped getting cramped 2 miles into a 5+ mile run. Good shoes will make a whole lot of difference in keeping your body healthy when running.

Dont worry too much about this stuff though. Unless you are going to be a world-class athlete, you will get most of your required vitamins, fats, proteins, etc. from a normal, sensible diet. Just be sure to keep hydrated. Vitamins and such aren't going to hurt, just don't go buying snake oil without doing some homework on what you're putting in you.

~Nate

PS - I was actually reading through workout supplements today since I'm working out pretty hard presently. Be careful for enhancements that say they will boost your performance for a limited period of time with their special herbal blend (or something like it). Same with rapid weight loss... Reading the ingredients often reveals the herbs contain the same caffiene content of 2 strong cups of coffee. Of course caffiene will up your performance for a limited time, but it can be a risk. Just an FYI...

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
ocscand--

dairycreamer is right. centrum is one of the best bangs for your buck, and taking one a day is probably not going to build up a lethal dose of fat soluble vitamins.

glusosomine/chondroitin MAY help you, but that's usually only in cases of a chronic problem, such as osteoarthritis. doubtful that it will do much for you if you have healthy legs.

by professional running store, you shouldn't be going to foot action or foot locker. occasionally you'll see a new balance store all on it's own-- that's the kind of place you need to go. if you can't find one, go see a physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine, or a certified athletic trainer (latc). additionally, when you buy running shoes, remember to buy them at least 1/2 a size big-- your feet slide forward when you run, and you can mess up your toes if they keep hitting the ends of your shoes.

if you want to decrease your run times, one of the fastest ways to do that is to add a sprint workout. you can also swim-- if you run and swim laps for two weeks, (serious laps, here-- no floating in one place, no feet on the bottom), and then just run the third week, you'll find that your run times will have decreased, and it will actually feel 'easier' for you to run.

i'd stay away from herbal supplements-- you won't be able to use them at ocs anyway.

items you might try searching for on this site:

supplements
run times
recently we put a lot into a shin splint forum
joints
knees
running
nutrition

DairyCreamer

snow85 said:
ocscand--

dairycreamer is right. centrum is one of the best bangs for your buck, and taking one a day is probably not going to build up a lethal dose of fat soluble vitamins.

Yah, there's not too much of a problem with it. I just eat a lot of things throughout the day that are pretty vitamin packed. I'm not gonna keel over any time soon for sure ;) And besides, that extra Vitamin A will keep my eyes from buggin out on me in the long term :-D

~Nate

OCSCAND

Proper fitting running shoes and thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I recently went to a running only store where they sized my foot properly and watched me run. It took about an hour to get a pair of shoes but is sure makes a big difference over the BS service at Sports Authority. Yeah, I've been running with a bit of knee pain which seems to be ITBS, but it is getting better as of late, just didn't know if there was anything I should be taking to make sure it doesn't aggravate anything else in my knee. Thanks again for the help.

FearedFactor

I don't think there is anybody who couldn't benefit from a multi-vitamin supplement. Centrum, mega man etc they all have roughly the same vitamins and minerals, just don't take too much, one a day is probably about right. Your body can only use so much of any certain vitamin anything over that amount is putting undue stress on your kidneys and liver.

I had a co-worker who was prescribed a calcium supplement for a deteiorating bone condition, instead of refilling his presciption of 30mg calcium tablets, he started taking a tums twice a day(~500mg), 6 months later he collapsed in his office and was rushed to the hospital for an extreme case of Kidney Stones. Don't always assume X is good 2X is better.

NavyOCS

wheatgrass. Look it up on google. Although I havnt found any conclusive scientific evidence, it seems to work. Not to mention the placebo effect it has. One ounce of wheatgrass has the same nutritional benefit as 5lbs of veggies. Two ounces a day...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KizerSosay said:
wheatgrass. Look it up on google. Although I havnt found any conclusive scientific evidence, it seems to work. Not to mention the placebo effect it has. One ounce of wheatgrass has the same nutritional benefit as 5lbs of veggies. Two ounces a day...
Beneficial or otherwise, that stuff tastes like rat's a$$hole.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KizerSosay said:
Not to mention the placebo effect it has.

I'm no expert or anything, but if you don't believe a drug does anything, it goes against the idea of a placebo. You don't conciously take something expecting a placebo effect.... if so... just eat sugar pills.

NavyOCS

squeeze said:
I'm no expert or anything, but if you don't believe a drug does anything, it goes against the idea of a placebo. You don't conciously take something expecting a placebo effect.... if so... just eat sugar pills.

Maybe I used this word out of context. I meant that when you take it you feel like "oh I took this so I must feel better or perform better". The same could happen for anything you take or dont take.

Status
Not open for further replies.