• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

runner's knee

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's my deal. I tore the ACL in my left knee 6 years ago and so recently, as I've been having some discomfort with it, I've been wearing a brace when running long distances or on hard surfaces.

One month ago I ran a half marathon with the brace and while my left knee was fine, after the race my RIGHT knee was in pain. I thought it just was because of the race, but every time I've run since then my right knee has been in pain. From what I've read it looks like runner's knee, probably brought on because I overcompensated with my right knee since I had a brace on my left knee.

I'm just wondering when I should start getting concerned about it. I've been icing it after I run and wearing an Ace bandage while running, but it's getting worse. I did a 3.5 mile run today and now it's hurting worse than ever. Who here has had this issue and how did you keep running with the problem? Also, at what point should I seek medical attention?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spknees.html

"At an early stage running should be decreased to lessen stress to this area and allow healing to begin. It is important to avoid downhill running which stresses the patello-femoral complex.

Exercises performed with the knee bent should be avoided. When the knee is bent the forces under the knee cap are increased."

I don't think you'll get better if you keep running.

I had a stress fracture and kept running with it and it never got better until I stopped running.

fusu

dude, I've had the problem before (i run at college). listen to your body, and if it says "i freaking hurt" take it to the doc's. Going to see a doctor can't hurt, and the knee is nothing to mess around with.

best of luck

fusu

srqwho

pilot
Where does it hurt on your knee? Outside, inside, below knee cap? Also, be sure to pay attention to where on the road you run. If you are constantly running on crowned roads (not on the sidewalk), your body compensates for the angle of the road, which can cause knee injuries.

If the pain is on the outside of your knee, and this is my opinion, but it may be due to a tight TFL (tensor fascia lata), which is the muscle that attaches to the IT band... that if tight can cause some lateral (outside) knee pain. Massage, Ice, and ultrasound are all good means of relieving muscle tightness.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Here's my deal. I tore the ACL in my left knee 6 years ago and so recently, as I've been having some discomfort with it, I've been wearing a brace when running long distances or on hard surfaces.

One month ago I ran a half marathon with the brace and while my left knee was fine, after the race my RIGHT knee was in pain. I thought it just was because of the race, but every time I've run since then my right knee has been in pain. From what I've read it looks like runner's knee, probably brought on because I overcompensated with my right knee since I had a brace on my left knee.

I'm just wondering when I should start getting concerned about it. I've been icing it after I run and wearing an Ace bandage while running, but it's getting worse. I did a 3.5 mile run today and now it's hurting worse than ever. Who here has had this issue and how did you keep running with the problem? Also, at what point should I seek medical attention?

Internet diagnosis...worth what you pay for it. As a couple of other folks have said, get it checked out by a real doctor. Not worth the risk of further damage.

srqwho

pilot
FOR SURE see a doctor... I didn't realize that I did not mention that. Apologies. I've heard of many people running/raining through pain and it ended up getting them way worse off than they would have been if they would have just backed off and gotten it looked at. Pain is never your body's way of saying "this is great, go harder."

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the advice. The pain is in the cartilege under the knee cap and on the side of the inside of the knee cap. Having done the whole torn ACL thing, I know knee problems aren't something to mess with.

I'll try to see a doc soon, but as of right now I have no health insurance. I got commissioned 2 weeks ago and have been having problems getting into DEERS, which is preventing me from getting into Tricare. I just hope that when I can see someone it won't be something that will hold me up from starting flight school.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Sounds a lot like condromalacia...I got a dremel tool, some Jack Daniels and topical lidocaine and a drip bag or two....if you are ever in the Fallon area, drop by. Bring your own sutures.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I have had a knee repair to my ACL and other ligaments after a skiing crash. They can fix that with an arthroscope. Otherwise, you will have to modify your workout and look out for lateral movement that can tear it even more.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The knee with the ACL tear is fine- I had that repaired after my skiing accident. The problem is with my other knee which I think developed the runner's knee after compensating for the knee I had the ACL repair on because I've been wearing a brace.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll try to see a doc soon, but as of right now I have no health insurance. I got commissioned 2 weeks ago and have been having problems getting into DEERS, which is preventing me from getting into Tricare. I just hope that when I can see someone it won't be something that will hold me up from starting flight school.

I would try and call up Tricare and ask them what you can do about being seen anyways, Feddoc would be more knowledgeable but they would seem to have to be able to work with you somehow. That, I would start bugging DEERS and your YN regularly, squeaky wheel.......

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Flash offers good gouge in his last sentence. I think tricare will not do a thing until you are in DEERS; start there first. If you get resistance, talk to NLSO.

lax014

same exact problem, tore my ACL, after completing rehab and getting back to running, my non-surgical knee, supposed to be my good knee, developed a sharp pain on the outside of knee cap. MY therapists couldnt help, eventually a trainer at my gym told me to try this for the ITB, it worked awesome!! check this link out, it explains how to use a foam roller to stretch out the ITB.

http://www.bodyspex.com/HowToGallery.aspx?ID=1