• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Run Time at TBS

BRM21o

Will a 22-23 min run time at TBS leave me at a disadvantange? I'm solid in everything else but have always struggled with the run. Thanks!

riley

Depends on the culture of your company and your staff platoon commander (SPC). You will get a lot of this at TBS - it is METT-T dependent.

You should be fine. Make sure you keep your PT up, though. It is easy to slide into the, "Man that FEX sucked, I think I'll take it easy this next week." If anything, you'll want to show improvement. We had Lts in our platoon who were running 24 minute PFT runs - they passed all of the graded PT events just fine.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
My PFT was an all time low at TBS mainly because what little time you do have to PT on your own you'd rather eat or sleep, but once I got to flight school and had a lot of free time I'd incorporate PT into my EP studying. There was a couple different times in Primary when I had 17-18 straight days of absolutely nothing but phone mustering in everyday. Advanced was pretty consistant. The Rag was hit or miss (went 15 days once without getting an X, but was on the FCF sked) and now in the fleet it's busy enough that it's hard to find time to PT. Unless I'm flying that day, I try to PT during chow.

Back to your question, don't sweat a 22 Min run time, I've seen a lot worse make it through TBS. Make it a point to use the extra time in flight school to stay in shape (or get better), and I know that's easier said than done, especially after just leaving "balls to the wall" TBS and then getting all this free time (when I say "free time, I mean not so much in API, but waiting between pipelines and everyonce in a while during a pipeline.....or you may not wait at all, and during flight school you'll be scheduled for one flight a day, the rest of the day is yours.....that's a lot of time) I know 2 guys off the top of my head that got attrited in Advanced for PFT failure and one guy was rocking the helo program.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I came into TBS running just under 22 minutes, and like E5b said, was far from the slowest. The only two evaluated PT events are the double-O and the endurance course (not counting the initial and final PFTs), and even the slower runners had little trouble with the standards. Granted, Fox CO is not very strict about PT, and virtually all that we do is done on personal time. With the exception of 2 or 3 days in the first 2 weeks of the POI, the only company-wide PT conducted has been the evaluated events. You run the Double-O 2-3 times (one time evaluated), and the E-cource twice (initial and evaluated). With your times, you should be good to go.

pjxc415

pilot
scotty008 said:
I came into TBS running just under 22 minutes, and like E5b said, was far from the slowest. The only two evaluated PT events are the double-O and the endurance course (not counting the initial and final PFTs), and even the slower runners had little trouble with the standards. Granted, Fox CO is not very strict about PT, and virtually all that we do is done on personal time. With the exception of 2 or 3 days in the first 2 weeks of the POI, the only company-wide PT conducted has been the evaluated events. You run the Double-O 2-3 times (one time evaluated), and the E-cource twice (initial and evaluated). With your times, you should be good to go.

You say Fox company isn't that strict about PT. Is there that much of a difference between companies?? Not worried about it, just curious.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Yes... the company commander and SPC you get make a big difference on Humps and scheduled PT. My SPC didn't like to run, so we did alot of groundfighting. If your SPC hates MCMAP but likes to run expect the opposite. Some company commanders like to do their hikes at the beginning and end of FEXes, some like to do them as independently scheduled events. The Company Commander has a good deal of discretion.
To tell what type of company you will be in, just ask yourself what you would prefer- MCMAP, Running, Humps during FEXes or Humps as independently scheduled events? You will end up in the company and platoon that does the opposite of what you picked.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Taxman makes a good point. While we Fox doesn't put a huge emphasis on pt, they hump the shit out of us. I think the plan was to give us two extra conditioning hikes just bacause the major likes it. Even within the company pt rates tend to vary between platoons. There really isn't any way to predict what you'll get, but know that it wont be that bad. I'm unfortunately finding it tough to find the motivation to drag my California ass outside and pt in the snow and frigid temperatures...

Crowbar

None
"The Physical Fitness Test is a measuring stick used to gauge your overall level of fitness."
-not me

There are different aspects of physical fitness that will become obvious during TBS. Some people can run the double-O in sub 3 minutes or max the PFT but not hump for shit. You might have somebody whose PFT score is less than impressive, but then they'll carry the SAW day in, day out for six months and just be a complete badass during assaults and humps. Some people can't do anything but pullups. Some can do everything but crunches. It varies.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Our SPC's idea of PT was combat water polo and bear pits. Fun stuff, if you ask me. Then again, he was a big man (wrestler and football player at USNA), so running wasn't exactly his thing.