• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Run PFT scores at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Whalebite said:
Aren't you required to give 100%?
You are, it's just that you have to train SMARTLY and SAFELY. I was scheduled for OCC 168, but ended up with 169 because I decided to do a 3.5 mile speed hump (hike) with full gear around the MCAS Miramar Golf Course which resulted in tedonitus of the achilles. It took two monthes for me to fully heal! Of course it screwed up my run time for the pre-ship PFT.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Also. . .

About the PFT 3 mile run course at OCS/Camp Brown Field, whether it's .2 of a mile longer or not, at least the course is flat as a pancake! Other places you run the 3 miles in the Corps, might have "humps" and little hills (well, at the discretion of your CO/OIC or YOU!). TBS is one of them! (The thing about the 3 mile course at TBS, you go up and down and up and down! It don't seem to end! :eek: )

BTW. I came to OCS with a 22:30 run time. I left with a 20:15 time!

Clux4

Banned
Really, should 0.2 make that much of a difference for someone that has been training for the past 6-8months? I don't think it would affect anything to the extent of making you fail the PFT. Despite the 0.2 increase, majority still do better on the final PFT compared to the initial. Well, that might just be that Candidate smokeytelly is anxious to go home.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
I ran it in June, and yes the course has been altered due to the construction of new enlisted quarters. And yeah, it's an easy course. And yeah, 3.2 miles sounds about right. And no, it shouldn't matter.

UORBulldog

I doubt that it is 3.2. My preship was like 23:10 or something and then my initial PFT in June was like 22:30 and I didn't feel like I was doing that much better. If anything I would have to say its 2.9 or something. My final PFT was down to a 21:20 there, so it is definitely the easiest PFT I've ever run.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Well I feel like shook up the hornet's nest a bit with this one. After so many months of training the extra .2 miles doesn't concern me and probably doesn't bother most other guys either. Most every one like myself are faster runners when they're running with a group of guys anyway. If I'm selected I'm going to be much more interested in how much my run time improves over the course of OCS than whether or not the run is actually more than 3 miles.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Arc Angel said:
Well I feel like shook up the hornet's nest a bit with this one. After so many months of training the extra .2 miles doesn't concern me and probably doesn't bother most other guys either. Most every one like myself are faster runners when they're running with a group of guys anyway. If I'm selected I'm going to be much more interested in how much my run time improves over the course of OCS than whether or not the run is actually more than 3 miles.
Like I said, OCS/Camp Brown Field is flat as a pancake! Like another said, if you've been training yourself, you'll be okay! :icon_wink

Crowbar

None
Think about this

Let's look at this 2.8-3.2 thing mathematically.

For someone running a 6:00 mile, they run .2 miles in 1:12. (360 seconds per mile/5=72 seconds per 1/5th mile).

For someone running a 7:00 mile, they run .2 miles in 1:24. (420 seconds per mile/5=84 seconds per 1/5th mile).

For someone running an 8:00 mile, they run .2 miles in 1:36. (480 seconds per mile/5=96 seconds per 1/5th mile).

So, even Mr. 300 PFT if unaffected by changes in weather, eating and sleeping habits, if he runs his usual 6:00 pace, will notice his time plummet to 19:12 for a 3.2 mile course. Twenty-four minute man will take 25:36.

Going the other way (2.8 miles), super stud would increase to 16:48 and super slug would shoot to 22:24.

Feel free to check my math and fire off ideas...

Clux4

Banned
I don't believe the 3.2 mile story. I have seen people run that course in 16:45. I personally ran a 20:00 the last I ran it, and I know damn well I was not in that good of a shape.

Just run until you get to the finish line and your time should be good. :D

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Ok this is how it goes. They are doing road contruction at Quantico so my gunny said that the course may be 3.2. However the whole 2.8-3.2 thing is set up to where, in the regulations, if you are running a 2.8 you HAVE to add 1:30 to your time and if they have you running a 3.2 at OCS my Gunny said they will take off 1:30. The only way you could lose time is if you are running a 1/4 in more than 1:30. Which most will be but it wont be so bad that you would lose more than a 30 seconds.

"I could power a small city with my whining"

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
leatherneck82 said:
Ok this is how it goes. They are doing road contruction at Quantico so my gunny said that the course may be 3.2. However the whole 2.8-3.2 thing is set up to where, in the regulations, if you are running a 2.8 you HAVE to add 1:30 to your time and if they have you running a 3.2 at OCS my Gunny said they will take off 1:30. The only way you could lose time is if you are running a 1/4 in more than 1:30. Which most will be but it wont be so bad that you would lose more than a 30 seconds.

I don't know how true that is given my experience. I first ran the course on June 8th, and I assure you, they most certainly did NOT adjust my time in any fashion. I tallied my score myself (timed on my own watch) & was told the official score & they matched. No adjustments were made. It didn't matter to me either way, but those are the facts.

And I'll state my opinion again that yes, it was the longest 3.0 miles I've ever run. :icon_wink :icon_tong , but no, it shouldn't matter.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
leatherneck82 said:

uh.... no
the only thing you get time subtracted/added for is altitude. there is no mythical 2.8-3.2 correction. hell, as much as it's told around the corps, no one has ever been able to produce the reg that supposedly gives the .4 mile margin of error.

you either misheard your gunny or he is misinformed

Status
Not open for further replies.