• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Run PFT scores at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
True or False, the 3 mile run for the initial PFT at OCS is actually 3.2 miles. If it is that could explain why I've heard a lot of guys have slower times than what they'd expect to produce when they got there and subsequently lower PFT scores. Even if you're running an 18 minute 3 mile, an extra two tenths would tack on at least another minute on to your time.

plmtree

Don't know for sure, but its probably true. The few Marine Corps formal schools I've been to always had longer PFT courses. According to MCO, the max is 3.2 and the min is 2.8.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
USMCAlumni said:
According to MCO, the max is 3.2 and the min is 2.8.

I've heard Marines say this on more than one occasion... The thing is that I can't find this in any MCO! MCO 6100.12 goes into detail about how the PFT is to be administered and scored, and never once does it mention this. It says that the bar for pullups needs to be 1- 1 3/4 inches in diameter, it says that the running course should have as few turns as possible, but it says nothing at all about this 2.8 - 3.2 mile window that Marines like to talk about. I ask then, where does this 2.8 - 3.2 mile window come from? Is this just some big Marine Corps rumor or is there actually something written to substatiate this?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Arc Angel said:
True or False, the 3 mile run for the initial PFT at OCS is actually 3.2 miles. If it is that could explain why I've heard a lot of guys have slower times than what they'd expect to produce when they got there and subsequently lower PFT scores. Even if you're running an 18 minute 3 mile, an extra two tenths would tack on at least another minute on to your time.

And to answer your question-- When I was at OCS 2 years ago I ran the course for my inventory PFT at the same time as I ran my preship (which was definetely 3.0 miles). In my opinion the OCS PFT was the flattest, fastest, and most comfortable PFT course I've ever run.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think the 2.8-3.2 thing was in some ancient order from back before odometers were invented or something. Our training O went through such heartache about this before a CGI. "Why can't we run 2.8 miles?" "Because it's a 3-mile run, jackass!"

Crowbar

None
The rumor probably comes from the same person who says that dishonorable discharges are automatically upgraded to honorable six months after you get kicked out. Or from the same group of idiots who get married so they get "extra money". You know who I'm talking about.

The difference in run times could be several things. Change in weather (most likely), change in sleep patterns, change in eating habits (everybody who had to eat frozen sandwiches for 3 days this year will back me up on that) you will all experience your first few days at OCS and can affect how you run. I agree, I've been through the Physical Fitness and Body Composition order before and can't find this 2.8-3.2 thing either. If you just like to be safe, practice on a 3.2, then you'll always be fine on an actual PFT.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree. I'm pretty sure the OCS course is probably the most precisely measured course in the Corps. The stress, lack of sleep, and change in schedule is responsible for the bad times on check-in. I remember that my PFT 1 month prior to OCS was 18:30, but I ran a 20:00 the first PFT. By check-out, I'd gotten back to the 19min range.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
I only ask because a guy I know who went PLC juniors and got back in July told me this. Since we're just about to find out who's in for 187 I wanted to ask now rather than find out later.

reapergm

phrogdriver said:
I remember that my PFT 1 month prior to OCS was 18:30, but I ran a 20:00 the first PFT.

Do the SIs know your PFT score going into the initial PFT? Does it look bad or count that the PFT went down? I have an 18:42 now, and I want to take it easy on running a bit to prevent injury. Just wondering if I lost time would it hurt me on any kind of eval?

Crowbar

None
They will have a roster with PFT scores on it. I don't know if it includes the raw scores but it also has a percentage score on it to put in your GPA calculation. They won't really care unless there is a reason to care, i.e. you are on probation because your score is so low. They won't know your pre-ship score anyway unless you just like to volunteer that kind of thing. Like was said, expect your time to be in the crapper. Somewhat. I ran a whopping 22:00 this year (about a minute off my average) on the initial because of those things I mentioned-lack of sleep, lack of food, and change in temp/humidity.

Whalebite

reapergm said:
Do the SIs know your PFT score going into the initial PFT? Does it look bad or count that the PFT went down? I have an 18:42 now, and I want to take it easy on running a bit to prevent injury. Just wondering if I lost time would it hurt me on any kind of eval?

Aren't you required to give 100%?

Crowbar

None
Whalebite said:

No, you aren't required to give ****. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Yes, you should always put out max effort. But temper that with knowing that trying to set records or be a showoff can result in (re)injuring yourself.

AsphaltPilot

OCC 187 Air
If the extra .2 mile is a huge concern, compensate by running 12 laps on an outer lane of a track in training for the 3 mile run.

reapergm

Whalebite said:

Man, Ive been giving 100% and more!! Thats the problem. Ive worked too hard, I would hate to lose it all b/c I overtrained. I will look to do my best, but not more than that. I know a ton of kids this summer were sent home b/c they were too gung ho and got injured.

Tiffak

My OSA said they clocked the course at 3.2 mi when he went for a visit in June.

Have no idea what method they used or the reliability, but I was sitting there when he told the OSO.

If that helps any.....

Status
Not open for further replies.