• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Run Around to Get Commission

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Although my situation is not exactly like yours, I was selected for NFO for this class 201 and I am supposed to report to Quan. on Thurs. I am still awaiting a signoff on a medical issue from NAMI even though even though a NAMI doc told me on the phone it was cleared. Or this is at least what I am being told from my OSO. The OSO's want me to sign a ground contract to go to OCS on, hoping the Aviation signoff comes while at OCS. Would this make anyone else nervous? Am I going to end up a ground pounder?

No, if you graduate OCS there is a 100% chance that you'll be a Marine.

bmyers91880

I assume that the AV8 in your name means you're a Harrier Pilot. Would you be as enthusiastic if you had your slot taken away from you at OCS and ended up Ground?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I assume that the AV8 in your name means you're a Harrier Pilot. Would you be as enthusiastic if you had your slot taken away from you at OCS and ended up Ground?

Priceless ...

He's just another wanna-be, just like you. Don't waste your time with another slack-jawed internet pissing match. Take 3 seconds to read his profile, he has it all laid out there.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Although my situation is not exactly like yours, I was selected for NFO for this class 201 and I am supposed to report to Quan. on Thurs. I am still awaiting a signoff on a medical issue from NAMI even though even though a NAMI doc told me on the phone it was cleared. Or this is at least what I am being told from my OSO. The OSO's want me to sign a ground contract to go to OCS on, hoping the Aviation signoff comes while at OCS. Would this make anyone else nervous? Am I going to end up a ground pounder?

From what I've read on here, it appears that there were many that were in your shoes, signed a Ground contract, then had it switched to Air. I've never read about anyone who's contract wasn't switched, even though sometimes it didn't happen till the day before graduation (!).

THAT SAID, there are never any guarantees, BUT I think your chances are very good, considering Ground spots seem to have been the most competitive lately with Air ones being given away like candy. In the end it's up to you - you can always tell your OSO you'd rather wait for the next class.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor

AV8=Aviate

And yes, I would be just as enthusiastic. In fact, that's why I picked the Corps. If the flying thing doesn't work out, there are plenty of kick-ass things to do on the ground.

(p.s. the profiles are here for a reason, as well as the shiny gold things under people's names)

JTB7

Every officer is expected to be capable of leading an infantry platoon. Admins, everybody. Just like every Marine is a rifleman. I would take ground in a heartbeat if I couldn't get an air slot.

If I were you, I would watch this video:

bmyers91880

Wow man, a few internet hero's. To answer, no I don't know exactly how the process works, I've never done it before. To the 21 year old who thinks he's already flying fighters, you're 21 and don't know near as much as you think you do. To the gentleman who actually had a positive helpful answer, I thank you. These forums are designed to inform others from your own experiences or knowledge. Not to hide behind a keyboard and try to make people feel stupid. If by wannabe you mean, my intentions to serve as an NFO in the USMC, I guess I am a wannabe.

torpedo0126

Wow man, a few internet hero's. To answer, no I don't know exactly how the process works, I've never done it before. To the 21 year old who thinks he's already flying fighters, you're 21 and don't know near as much as you think you do. To the gentleman who actually had a positive helpful answer, I thank you. These forums are designed to inform others from your own experiences or knowledge. Not to hide behind a keyboard and try to make people feel stupid. If by wannabe you mean, my intentions to serve as an NFO in the USMC, I guess I am a wannabe.

I didn't get that feeling from him really...

I think more or less the point is that becoming a Marine is far more important than just having an air contract. Although I am not in the Marines, I can tell you if you let it be known around other Marine that you don't want to be a "ground pounder" you could be in for a rough time.

Hopefully, everything will work out for you, but if you do not end up an NFO, there are still a ton of aviation related MOSs in the USMC. And most importantly, you will have earned the right to wear that Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor

I was going to flame, but you know what your right.

I am just some delusional 21 year old who has spent the last couple months thinking that I've been flying jets and burning holes in the sky. You wanna know something funny, my avatar picture isn't even me!:eek: I just put it there so all the real aviators on this forum will think I'm a fighter pilot. (I don't think they bought it since I never got wings). And your right, 21 is waaaay to young to know anything about anything, especially compared to how old and experienced you must be.
You know what, since you are so smart, the mods should make you the new forum master or something. Wouldn't that be cool?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I was going to flame, but you know what your right.

I am just some delusional 21 year old who has spent the last couple months thinking that I've been flying jets and burning holes in the sky. You wanna know something funny, my avatar picture isn't even me!:eek: I just put it there so all the real aviators on this forum will think I'm a fighter pilot. (I don't think they bought it since I never got wings). And your right, 21 is waaaay to young to know anything about anything, especially compared to how old and experienced you must be.
You know what, since you are so smart, the mods should make you the new forum master or something. Wouldn't that be cool?

Alright, settle down. If you two cannot behave, the mods will have to give you a time out.

NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING. Even the guys with years of flying experience.

bmyers, what do you want? You want to be a Marine or a Marine NFO? Like others have said, the only good guarantee is in writing. Hope is not a course of action and when it comes down to the line, the military will only honor what is in the contract.

GO_AV8_DevilDog, chill out and grow some thicker skin.

-ea6bflyr ;)