• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rumsfeld to step down

NavyLonghorn

Yep, looks like former CIA Director Robert Gates is taking over.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_resigns

Says that Gates is currently President of Texas A&M. You know what they say, if you want something done right then put an Aggie in charge. :D

Having an Aggie take over as SECDEF is a brilliant move. We can no longer lose the war on terror, we can only "run out of time."

Its rumored that Gates first steps towards fixing the war in Iraq will involve painting the entire countryside maroon.

Whoop.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Sounds like a lot of Aggies will be happy with this decision. I know my sister doesn't like him at all.

snizo

Supply Officer
That is an about face from the President's previous position on Rumsfeld...if only this had happened a few days before the election...

snake020

Contributor
That is an about face from the President's previous position on Rumsfeld...if only this had happened a few days before the election...

An article in Early Bird only a week ago quoted Bush as saying Rummy was going to stay in through the end of the term.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how quickly or slowly the Senate confirms this new guy, especially if the Democrats take control.

snizo

Supply Officer
Could it be that he resigned because of the change in leadership at the House? This way, the Speaker can't call Rumsfeld over daily for questioning, and Gates can just say "I wasn't here then."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure if they want Rumsfeld subpoenaed, they will get him to testify regardless of where he is.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
RetreadRand said:
Good Riddance, I had been hoping for three years he would resign. Can I say that now that he is gone? If not, then Mods just delete this whole post (seriously)

After what happened with Shinseki and the Powell doctrine, I can't say I disagree with you.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I'm not commenting on Rumsfeld but I would like to see the name of the position changed back to " Secretary of War" !

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
After what happened with Shinseki and the Powell doctrine, I can't say I disagree with you.
the Powell Doctrine ... makes to much sense. too bad some are (were) to arrogant and stubborn to use it.

... every resource and tool should be used to achieve overwhelming force against the enemy, minimizing US casualties and ending the conflict quickly by forcing the weaker force to capitulate.

S/F