• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rotorcraft-Gyroplane

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Looks like fun...

gyrocopter.jpg

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
That thing looks like fun, but it also looks like a bad idea. I'm not saying I wouldn't try it, I'm just saying I should know better.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
That is just the bare bones model! I saw this movie with Sean Connery where one had machine guns, heat-seeking missiles, and flame throwers! :D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There's a little autogyro school in Brewton I stopped by once.

They've only got the one in front, though.

Attachments

• gyrocopter brewton.jpg
    gyrocopter brewton.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 130

HuggyU2

None
Ultralights are pretty dangerous, Statistically speaking, because most people assemble them themselves.
Who "assembled" it generally has nothing to do with any mishap that involves an ultralight.
Second, most of these gyrocopters (maybe all, since they are "rotorcraft") are ineligible to be classified as "ultralights". Most are in the "experimental" category, and there's a difference. I've flown a number of ultralights and experimentals, and is boils down to getting good training, and staying proficient.

MB,
Don Farrington ran a huge school in Paducah, KY until he died a few years ago. I've got a couple of friends that fly gyro's, and I'll see if they know of any reputable schools. In the meantime, go to www.pra.org, and www.gyrotraining.com, and call them for a listing of schools. I don't know who's taken over as the King-Kong since Farrington. Maybe no one.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm guessing their mishaps are more likely due to low experience levels of the pilots, vice structural failure due to poor assembly.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
That is just the bare bones model! I saw this movie with Sean Connery where one had machine guns, heat-seeking missiles, and flame throwers! :D

It is an option on most of them, adding all the heat resistant material (for shielding against the missile's motor) almost makes it not even worth it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing their mishaps are more likely due to low experience levels of the pilots, vice structural failure due to poor assembly.

My info is a bit dated, but back in the early to mid '90s, the biggest problem seemed to be the engines, as told to me by several ultralight pilots. They tended to be not so reliable, so it wasn't the pilot trying to break the sound barrier while heading towards the ground, instead it was the engine quitting over a tree-line and not being able to make the next pasture/clearing.

Not sure if the newer Rotax and the like engines are better now (it would make sense that they are).

HuggyU2

None
gatordev,
Like you, I can't remember the exact details of how it works, but the thrust line of the engines vs. the CG is a big factor too. If you're really aggressive with the throttle, you can end up in a big PIO, where the rotor can hit the tail, or (somehow) it develops into some sort of retreating blade stall issue, followed by a deadly roll over.
Again, if I can track down my gyro bud, I'll get the skinny from him and post it here.

In case your gyrocopter doesn't work out you can resort to this. :D

Attachments

• GiantSlingshot.jpg
    GiantSlingshot.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 33
  • INBARslingshot_matt.jpg
    INBARslingshot_matt.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 32