• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC, clear it up for me will ya

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just worried that I will go through all of this work (ROTC) and then not get a pilot slot. That would seriously bum me out. And also, are all NROTC programs equally granted the same amount of pilot slots? For instance, does UFA nrotc have a better shot at pilot slots then say...Villanova nrotc?

To answer your questions- 1. yes. 2. no.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm just worried that I will go through all of this work (ROTC) and then not get a pilot slot. That would seriously bum me out. And also, are all NROTC programs equally granted the same amount of pilot slots? For instance, does UFA nrotc have a better shot at pilot slots then say...Villanova nrotc?

The person from a state school has the same chance of a pilot spot compared to Mr. Harvard or Mr. MIT.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
A buddy of mine who graduated 03 from USNA was commissioned USNR. I know that doesn't speak to anyone coming out of ROTC, but I found it kind of odd.

I heard that ROTC recently transfered to USNR. I might be wrong, but that's what my chain of command told me last year.

corvairdroptop

It's not odd, that's just how they did it. Around '94 or '95 (I said '96 earlier in error), they changed it so all Academy and ROTC guys got the same commission (USNR). Once the "integration" of reserve and active components happened (circa 05-ish), everyone got USN commissions again.

Concur; I remember people being commissioned as USNR, but we switched over to USN commissions for the graduating class of 2006.

"Pilot slots" aren't exactly allocated at such a narrow level, from what I understand.

Have you considered the Air National Guard? If you have worries about serving in some non-aviation capacity you might be barking up the wrong tree. I would also recommend scale model building as a great hobby.

Horseshoe

another quick question: how tough is it to get accepted into nrotc? and this talk of scholarships... does the ROTC program give you a scholarship if you get accepted? or can you get a scholarship to ROTC?

I'm only a sophomore in high school, so don't jump down my throat about my lack of info.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Age is not an excuse for ignorance. There are plenty of places to find the information that you've continually asked for. Do a little leg work yourself, and go to the sites that people have pointed out to you. ROTC is a program that can potentially award scholarships to school. If you went to any of the websites and read faqs on those websites probably 90% of the questions you have will be answered. The rest of the questions you have can then be answered, and people won't give you hell for the questions that you're asking.

If you haven't already go here. And don't ask another question about the NROTC program until you've read all of that.

Horseshoe

Thanks, and you're right. Age isn't an excuse. But it was just recently, very recently that I was inspired to be in the military, preferably a Naval Aviator. I don't even know why I suddenly got the urge to do this.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
another quick question: how tough is it to get accepted into nrotc? and this talk of scholarships... does the ROTC program give you a scholarship if you get accepted? or can you get a scholarship to ROTC?

Scholarship or not, units will usually let you join, as long as they have room for you. After that, you've got to prove yourself to them. That's what I did - after getting turned down for scholarship multiple times, I picked one up my sophmore year. Persistance pays off.

Since you're in high school, try to apply for a national scholarship before you graduate at https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/. If you have a good GPA, above average SATs, and do something productive in your spare time, you've got a shot. Letters of recommendation help too. Good luck.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Thanks, and you're right. Age isn't an excuse. But it was just recently, very recently that I was inspired to be in the military, preferably a Naval Aviator. I don't even know why I suddenly got the urge to do this.

Sounds like you just hit puberty.

Watch out, first you wanna be in ROTC then you're gonna start liking girls.:eek:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Listen up!

During the summer training programs for NROTC, is it for the whole summer, or just some of it?

Age is not an excuse for ignorance. There are plenty of places to find the information that you've continually asked for. Do a little leg work yourself, and go to the sites that people have pointed out to you. ROTC is a program that can potentially award scholarships to school. If you went to any of the websites and read faqs on those websites probably 90% of the questions you have will be answered. The rest of the questions you have can then be answered, and people won't give you hell for the questions that you're asking.

If you haven't already go here. And don't ask another question about the NROTC program until you've read all of that.

Horseshoe,
We applaud your interest, but you have been advised and encouraged more than once to do a little homework. Your questions are fundamental and easily found here via search or on-line in a number of other resources such as the one fc2spyguy suggests. I found it there with an entire manual describing the entire summer experience. You need to do YOUR homework instead of asking others to do it for you.
Before you ask another question, verify you have gone to link above and read up on NROTC and before posting again, that you watched this video.. Folks are dropping hints like anvils and you aren't responding.

MasterBates

Shall I get the CLUEBAT Joe?
cluebat.jpg

Horseshoe

What is the average number of each ROTC class that goes onto aviation, or chooses to go on to aviation?

And, this is random, but do fellow NROTC people dorm together? And are they separated the same way the academy does it?