• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC, clear it up for me will ya

sbpilot

What is the average number of each ROTC class that goes onto aviation, or chooses to go on to aviation?

And, this is random, but do fellow NROTC people dorm together? And are they separated the same way the academy does it?

I'm pretty sure theres no real "average number." I think it all depends on the needs of the navy at the time and whatever each class is like, they're all different.

But I have that same question regarding the dorm situation.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
in NROTC you can choose your own living arrangements. That is unless the school has a different say, VMI or others would come to mind.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
What is the average number of each ROTC class that goes onto aviation, or chooses to go on to aviation?

And, this is random, but do fellow NROTC people dorm together? And are they separated the same way the academy does it?

It depends for both. Ask your recruiter, or better yet stop by a local NROTC unit and ask.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
A lot of it depends on the size of the unit. Large units like Texas will vary a great deal from small units like mine in New Mexico.

A big class for us is 10 graduates.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The %'s of classes that go to the various warfare communities will vary from school to school. Just as an example, at Purdue at least 75% of my class went to the Aviation community. Obvisouly it can't be this way at other schools because other communities like subs and surface wouldn't get filled.

However, this does NOT mean that if you go to a school like Purdue with it's aviation trend that you will have a better shot of being a pilot. Part of the reason why a lot of folks do the flying thing is because Aero Engineering is big and so is aviation technology. Oh, and we are just cooler, in general. That said, I was Political Science major, so anything can happen.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
There usually aren't NROTC dorms, but 90% of the time there will be a bunch of mids sharing off campus housing, if that makes any difference.

Horseshoe

When colleges or universities that have NROTC programs see that you are applying to the school and applying for an NROTC scholarship, do you think that when they see that you are applying for an NROTC scholarship, it helps you to get admitted into the actual school?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No. As far as I know, the school doesn't even know you're applying for a scholarship until after you're accepted.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No. As far as I know, the school doesn't even know you're applying for a scholarship until after you're accepted.

There have been two recent posts related to individuals either accepted for NROTC, but at school they wanted and vice versa. Check recent threads for their stories.

Horseshoe

I would, but I'm only a sophomore, I am just trying to get as much info as possible to properly prepare myself, so when the time comes I'm not stressing out and I'm ready.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I would, but I'm only a sophomore, I am just trying to get as much info as possible to properly prepare myself, so when the time comes I'm not stressing out and I'm ready.

The NROTC program gets the people independant of applications. IE. The unit I'm at hase 20 people accepted to the unit. They're expecting roughly 50% to show up in the fall. If a person is having issues the NROTC people can go through other channels, but it won't guarantee acceptance. It may however, speed up the process for a person.

Kevin