• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC Arrival PFT

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
It's 1.5 miles. Personally I love smoking some of the guys who are 11 years younger than me by a minute +. I'm only running it at 10:00, but I still get a kick out of passing a lot of the freshmen on that last 1/2 mile. However, I suck ass at pushups and that's all that keeps me from getting my outstanding. But I'm okay with that.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
www.bodybuilding.com is a pretty good site with great information on that type of stuff. If you want to build muscle, typically consume about 500 cal/day more than you burn. I'm not sure that just pushups and bicep curls would be considered adequate however. If you're serious about building muscle, try to scrounge up $30/month for a gym membership. I think it would be awfully hard to build serious mass with bodyweight exercises, plus you'll be out of proportion doing only chest and biceps.

/begin slight threadjack

There's a huge belief that bodybuilding is somehow the right answer when training for military performance, but it's really not. That's an easy trap to fall into; I did for a long time, and so do most anyone who goes to college and hits the gym. There is a gigantic difference between building muscle (ala bodybuilding) and becoming functionally strong. I tend to disagree with the idea that you can't build muscle via bodyweight exercises. For instance, this guy seems to be in pretty frickin' amazing shape, and he uses a lot of bodyweight exercises. The guys in 300 did lots and lots of bodyweight exercises via gymnastics. Curls work your biceps individually, but do they ever work individually in the real world (except for the ever popular 12 oz curl)? Not usually. A pullup is a significantly better workout--and much harder.

Check out CrossFit sometime. They're the ones that trained the guy who trained the guys in 300. They are functionally strong first, and that's what matters.

/end threadjack

Srtitan89

I would much rather be doing pushups/pullups but I dont have anywhere at my house to do pullups, and I really don't want to do my workout down at the grade school playground. I don't have the money for a gym right now. My question is will bicep curls help at all with chin-ups? Or am I wasting my time even doing those?

BigRed389

None
/begin slight threadjack

There's a huge belief that bodybuilding is somehow the right answer when training for military performance, but it's really not. That's an easy trap to fall into; I did for a long time, and so do most anyone who goes to college and hits the gym. There is a gigantic difference between building muscle (ala bodybuilding) and becoming functionally strong. I tend to disagree with the idea that you can't build muscle via bodyweight exercises. For instance, this guy seems to be in pretty frickin' amazing shape, and he uses a lot of bodyweight exercises. The guys in 300 did lots and lots of bodyweight exercises via gymnastics. Curls work your biceps individually, but do they ever work individually in the real world (except for the ever popular 12 oz curl)? Not usually. A pullup is a significantly better workout--and much harder.

Check out CrossFit sometime. They're the ones that trained the guy who trained the guys in 300. They are functionally strong first, and that's what matters.

/end threadjack

Actually they were supposedly trained by these guys: http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

And they were working towards completing this routine:
“300”
25x Pull-up +
50x Deadlift @ 135# +
50x Push-up +
50x Box Jump @ 24” box +
50x Floor Wiper @ 135# (one-count) +
50x KB Clean and Press @ 36# (KB must touch floor between reps) +
25x Pull-up
300 reps total

Here's the floor wiper: http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=742750496&channel=211755171
And the KB clean and press: http://www.zippyvideos.com/2744010105261186/kb5/

Sick.

Although so are those CrossFit guys.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I wanted the Most Improved award when I was in Kindergarten, but I didn't know what it meant. I told my mom and she was like..."That's not the best kind of award to have."

Hey now, I got that in band (for alto sax) 7th grade year... Don't rain on my parade...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Hey now, I got that in band (for alto sax) 7th grade year... Don't rain on my parade...

That was just their PC way of telling you that you didnt suck as bad at the end of the year as you did at the start. Congrats. :D
I can't talk to much trash, I was in the band throughout high school. But I rocked the tenor sax, so the chicks dug it.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Actually they were supposedly trained by these guys: http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

Mark Twight, the guy behind Gym Jones, learned what he uses in Gym Jones from Crossfit and passes it off as his own stuff. Crossfit is open source, but he takes it a level above that and claims it was his own idea. Not trying to get in a fighting match over the internet, just trying to set the record straight since I love Crossfit and the idea behind Crossfit. Twight cheapens it, IMHO.

And they were working towards completing this routine:
“300”
25x Pull-up +
50x Deadlift @ 135# +
50x Push-up +
50x Box Jump @ 24” box +
50x Floor Wiper @ 135# (one-count) +
50x KB Clean and Press @ 36# (KB must touch floor between reps) +
25x Pull-up
300 reps total

The "300" workout was more of a carrot than an actual workout they were required to complete by the end of their training, if you believe Twight's blog on Gym Jones. He claims it's not as hard a workout as some of the other things they did on a more regular basis.

I only hope to be sick enough to do one of those workouts full tilt, unscaled.

BigRed389

None
Mark Twight, the guy behind Gym Jones, learned what he uses in Gym Jones from Crossfit and passes it off as his own stuff. Crossfit is open source, but he takes it a level above that and claims it was his own idea. Not trying to get in a fighting match over the internet, just trying to set the record straight since I love Crossfit and the idea behind Crossfit. Twight cheapens it, IMHO.

The "300" workout was more of a carrot than an actual workout they were required to complete by the end of their training, if you believe Twight's blog on Gym Jones. He claims it's not as hard a workout as some of the other things they did on a more regular basis.

I only hope to be sick enough to do one of those workouts full tilt, unscaled.

No pissing match intended. I've never even met the guy. Thanks for clearing it up.

And yes that workout is nuts...but what's really sick is that they competed to see who could finish it the fastest. Apparently the record was roughly 18:00 for all of that. :eek:

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
No worries. I know, the studs on Crossfit are even crazier. I mean, seriously, check this shit out. The workout is called Fran, and it's three rounds of 21-15-9 thrusters (basically front squat + push press in one motion) and pullups. The guy on the left does not stop once the entire time.

mike172

GO NAVY
This is a side question but I thought id continue it here.

When training for the PRT is it better to train with situps or crunches?

This is for the situp portion obviously.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This is a side question but I thought id continue it here.

When training for the PRT is it better to train with situps or crunches?

This is for the situp portion obviously.

I've found better results by training for what you'll be tested on. You can enhance progress by mixing it up and trying different exercises too. I do weighted crunches in addition to the Navy-style situps and russian twists etc etc. Variety is the spice of life, and the key to progress.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
...My question is will bicep curls help at all with chin-ups? Or am I wasting my time even doing those?

Pretty much a waste of time. Aside from biceps not being the main muscle group used in a pullup, the only thing that I've found that really helps at pullups/chinups is pullups/chinups! I've been confounded in the past by trying to gain pullups using all types of other exercises. It really is a pure demonstration in the principle of specificity. If you absolutely want or need to use other exercises, do back, back, & back. I row for my university crew and just rowing alone (truthfully, very little armstrength needed)keeps me fit to max out pullups.

It sounds like you're already good to go for your freshman year. I am an instructor every year at my schools indoc and I am absolutely apalled at the turds they let in. I can usually point out who's not going to make it, and I've even caused people to DOR at the indoc...pussies.

Oh, and Crossfit rocks. Doing the official warmup plus the WOD can get pretty intense. I think some of those people who leave their comments on their website are a little different though. Seems like people who get really involved in the crossfit culture have a totally different outlook on life. Not bad, just different.

sbpilot

I'm bringing this thread back alive with a question as I'm trying to get in shape for ROTC this fall.

For my age group it says scoring a good low means 62 situps and 51 pushups. Whats the time frame to complete these? Is it 2 minutes? I can't find the answer...

thanks