• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rondebmar's in Recovery

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
(C & P posting to family, friends, other forums...with today's update!!)

So…what happened to throw such a wrench into a perfectly fine weekend? Saturday Jan 29, 2011…

I’d been fighting the flu all week long…fatigued, not eating, on anti nausea meds, difficulty breathing…the whole nine yards. Saturday AM wife Debbie is about to get me to the ER, but I negate that…not out of some misplaced feeling of macho…but I obviously felt it not necessary. Little did I understand I was deep into “ICU Psychosis”…and from that point on for the following two weeks, I have absolutely no memory of my existence…was deep into delirium, …my only memories were hallucinations!

So…seeing as how I’m stubbornly refusing Debbie’s pleas to get aid, she calls our good friend and Pastor, Mike R…who promptly drives over, and directs her to immediately dial 911. I’m told the EMT’s spent twenty minutes stabilizing me (thank you, EMT’s) prior to transport to our local Marathon Hospital…”Fishermen’s” by name. (Thank you ER & ICU staff at Fishermen’s!!)

From several medical sources, I gather the following…I was hit by two different bacterial pneumonias…the second much more virulent that the first. This all happened during my first four days in ICU at Fishermen’s…now get this…along with a MERSA attack …and…meeting the clinical definitions for “Sepsis Shock”…and “Severe Sepsis”.

So, the staff at Fishermen’s decided on Tuesday to air lift me to a larger hospital, more capable of the treatment I required if I were to survive…and it was off to South Miami Hospital by chopper for me…(had a couple nasty hallucinations during that ride…LOL!) Was at South Miami Hospital for a few days… Thanks, Staff…(for saving my life!)

I recall virtually nothing of these two weeks…although had a flood of visitors, cards, flowers, family, friends
… all praying and rooting for me. (Thank YOU folks…you know who you are…and my grown kids, and Debbie and her family all feel the same way!)

Finally, after about ten days, was transferred to HealthSouth…the Sunrise FL rehab hospital, where they made a mighty effort to get me (at least a little) back on my feet (Thanks, gang…especially you PT folks…LOL!!)

Some numbers I’ve been given…Initial Blood Panel:

Body weight…mine = 104 lbs…normal 118 lbs

Protein…mine = 4…normal 11

Blood 02 level…mine = 66 %…normal 94 % (Partially accounts , with total system shock, for memory loss…and hair loss.)

Total time in ICU (two different hospitals) ~eight days…in hospital ~thirty five days

~forty days on PICC line and oral antibiotics

By the way, there’s some interesting reading on Google under: ICU Psychosis; Sepsis; MRSA.

Well, back home now…got a long way to go yet, though…with my doc, tailoring out my future Rx drug regime, getting my weight back to (and maintaining) ~120 lbs, lots of Physical Therapy, (three times a week now) recovering former muscle tone, endurance, and such…(hard to believe how much strength you can lose when you’re flat on your back…LOL!)

But, Debbie and I will be the scourge of the dolphin world soon enough!!

Update 4/15/11 for AW forum...off all PT now...central body workouts messing up my 30 year old left hip...Ortho man says quit the PT...recent blood panels indicate anemia??...on iron pills...also retaining water (edema ankles and feet)...on water pills. But, strength and endurance slowly returning...if all goes well, should be out on the water fishing in 2-4 weeks Family, friends, and neighbors see a remarkable uptick in my color, outdoors time, etc. :)

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Those fish aren't going to catch themselves

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get Well!

Way to go, Banty...we still got your back. Right now, between the two of us we are a strapping 250#, lol. E-mail enroute.:icon_bear
BzB sends :sleep_125

BlkPny

pilot
Those weren't hallucinations you had on the helicopter flight to South Miami Hospital. That's what a helo flight is supposed to be like! Unnatural.

Take care of yourself and get better soon. Best to you.

Flugelman

Contributor
Some people will do juat about anything to get a heli-chopper ride...:icon_tong

Glad you came out OK. Stay on the mend and don't take too long. I'm jealous of the dolphin fishing. I miss that from my Key West days.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
MRSA AND Sepsis??? Good to see you can still type.

Yes Sir...had'em both!! Don't know the time frame involved...but my family Doc was instrumental in having me air lifted up to Miami the fourth day into this, where more intensive care was available. MRSA, (I assume), accounted for the long term antibiotic protocol...and as a side note...Sepsis caused renal failure...kidneys spontaneously shut down for a little more than an hour...don't know the time line at all. O2 saturation was 66% on ER arrival...third and fourth week several pulmonologists from MIA (individually) looked in on me, interviewed me, asked several questions, etc., 'cause I think my case was notable. They all expressed the opinion I should not have "made it"...but one in particular was amazed at my recovery to that point...informed me (& family visitors) he expected me to get back to ~95% or better!! (I think I'm on the way!!) But I'm not sure of his reference...95% of what?? (LOL!!)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They all expressed the opinion I should not have "made it"...but one in particular was amazed at my recovery to that point...informed me (& family visitors) he expected me to get back to ~95% or better!! (I think I'm on the way!!) But I'm not sure of his reference...95% of what?? (LOL!!)

Proving once again, that Ol' Scooter Drivers are tough (Uncle Ho know)! Ain't no frickin' illness gonna knock 'em outta the game. Cleared in:hot_animaBanty, I'm on your wing... call feet wet!:tiger_125
BzB :pirate_12