• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...just need to know you're not flying with "NAFOD" *
* No Apparent Fear Of Death
We used to abbreviate it "NAFD" .... I never saw it at the ship; had it hapened, the gent would have not been flying again without some "LSO counseling" and perhaps a "come to Jesus" moment as it pertains to his response (or lack thereof) on the ball ....

However, I did give that grade as a write-in on occasion with STUDs ... when it fit .... and it did. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Who needs an NFO to give him a burble call? I thought that's why paddles screamed "POWER!" at the inclose.
A good B/N or RIO will give his driver a "sugar call" as necessary to keep the LSO from HAVING to SCREAM in close/at the ramp .... it saves the LSO's vocal cords and makes for better blood pressure.

*sigh* .... rookies. :)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Is the McCain on that board the same as a one John McCain currently running for president?

Pretty sure it is. He was on the flight deck and manned-up when the fire started. Flames were right underneath his A-4, climbed out on the probe to egress over the flames.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A good B/N or RIO will give his driver a "sugar call" as necessary to keep the LSO from HAVING to SCREAM in close/at the ramp .... it saves the LSO's vocal cords and makes for better blood pressure.

*sigh* .... rookies. :)

By the time the LSO confirms to you that you need power, you are reactive....especially with slow spool-up time of the TF30. Going high in-close sets you up for it. The burble call needs to take into account the spool-up time and even the type of wind that the ship has (natural or "grow-your-own").

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
By the way ... my AirWings never had any "LSO Bucks" ... never needed any.

The "buck" stopped here ....

lsoforever12qa6.jpg

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
By the time the LSO confirms to you that you need power, you are reactive....especially with slow spool-up time of the TF30. Going high in-close sets you up for it. The burble call needs to take into account the spool-up time and even the type of wind that the ship has (natural or "grow-your-own").

That goes for any jet engine. I got the eat at joes lights one night two balls high. Didn't even get the wave off call, all paddles said was "Burner! BURNER NOW!" Needless to say pucker factor was high for the next 5 seconds.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... A4s or Nose could likely comment whether that is a tool to encourage drivers to "suck less" as they could have easily been kept in a binder. There is no standard shape or design....
I used to make up a new "greenie board" for every line period. I tried to tailor it with "artwork" germane to the op-area and/or to the "mood" of that point in the cruise -- each and every cruise. :)

The "greenie board" was probably the most visited place in the Ready Room. EVERYONE was intensely interested in the landing grades, pilots, NFO's, and ground-pounders alike.
Not everyone could see your BDA, but EVERYONE could see your "Charlie on Arrival" tabulations. Competition for landing supremacy and "TOP HOOK" status was stiff on every cruise I ever made and it never changed, nor should it. The "board" and the trend analysis I did after every line period for all Aviators were anticipated and SRO events.

Even the E-men would visit the RR and check out their favorite or least-favorite Aviator for warm feelings and/or (not-so-quiet) ridicule. :D The men were rumored to have betting pools going below decks on the landing grades and seeding and handicapping of various Aviators. But I'm sure that's just a fable .... :icon_wink

The moral of the story: competition is good.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The moral of the story: competition is good.

And LSOs running Foc'sle Follies at conclusion of line period on top of that make LSOs high on list of morale boosters (among other contributions to the air wing).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can see your crew was never waved by yours truly ... :)

LOL...that's for sure...and we did get a new LSO and enforce Wing Qual Instruction after losing the jet mentioned above with non Wing Qualed LSO on backup and CAG Paddles just watching it go down (without a radio or pickle at the ready).

Nose

pilot
And LSOs running Foc'sle Follies at conclusion of line period on top of that make LSOs high on list of morale boosters (among other contributions to the air wing).

You obviously never saw our "Cag Staff of the Dance":eek:

Ask Mooch, I can't talk about it....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
VRC-30 used beer bottle caps for their greenie board. I'm certain it isn't the first time for a squadron. I used a lucky buck or two when we were flying day/night. Never used one when we back to day only. Really, day only, not that hard. If you sucked, you deserved it. You weren't competing for top nugget or top 10 anyway.