• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rod in Femur (Waiver Denied)

Rass

I want to be a Naval Officer, but today has presented me with a problem.

When i was 18 (7years ago) i broke my femur inter-tubing. It was a spiral fracture, but the bone did not break the skin. I was just informed by my OR that my waiver for the rod in my femur has been denied, which is odd because they didn't think it would get denied. I asked him if he knew if i could take it out and try Meps again... but he didn't seem to know.

I found this thread http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142784&highlight=broke+femur , but didnt find any info on post waiver denial :(

I dont want to get it taken out because i have no problems with my leg. I run every day, can jump, swim... anyhow you get the jist.... they just don't like the pin.

1.) Is this a show stopper?
2.) Once a waiver is denied is there anything else i can do?
2.) Do you guys know if i will still have to get a waiver if i get it out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

CAMike

None
Contributor
My experience is fairly dated but I'll share anyway. I was in a car accident in the spring of 1980. Compound fracture right femur. Three days later the "Kushner Rod" was inserted from the top and hammered down into the femur lengthwise. In the late spring of 1981 said +-12" stainless steel rod was removed- bone healed just fine. The X-ray taken for NAAMI by Oak Knoll Hospital in Oakland CA showed a slight thicking of bone mass about the previous break area. NAAMI saw the X-Ray and said no problem. Off to AOCS about 8 months after that.

So the rod had been removed for about 3 full years prior to my application in 1984. I hope your application is successful.

Rass

My experience is fairly dated but I'll share anyway. I was in a car accident in the spring of 1980. Compound fracture right femur. Three days later the "Kushner Rod" was inserted from the top and hammered down into the femur lengthwise. In the late spring of 1981 said +-12" stainless steel rod was removed- bone healed just fine. The X-ray taken for NAAMI by Oak Knoll Hospital in Oakland CA showed a slight thicking of bone mass about the previous break area. NAAMI saw the X-Ray and said no problem. Off to AOCS about 8 months after that.

So the rod had been removed for about 3 full years prior to my application in 1984. I hope your application is successful.

Thanks for the information, its just really going to suck removing a titanium rod out of a perfectly good leg :( . I have heard the second time around is just as bad as the first ... sigh

Rass

I was able to fly with a rod in my leg. Seems to depend on NOMIs mood honestly.

MB, I do remember reading some of your posts stating that you had all sorts of metal in your person :) This is very encouraging

After reading this document:
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Documents/Waiver%20Guide%20%20-%20Ortho.pdf (13.6 Retained Ortho Hardware)
it seems i never actually submitted a waiver. It appears like i need a orthopedic consultation, which i never had (aside from 7 years ago when i broke my leg), and x-rays (which my OR only has the 7 year old ones) they look nasty.

I never actually filled out any waiver at all, my OR and Processor just said they had taken care of it. I would assume i would have to sign it at least, right??

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the information, its just really going to suck removing a titanium rod out of a perfectly good leg :( . I have heard the second time around is just as bad as the first ... sigh

Easy there...before you go and put yourself under...

I just had a broken tibia internally corrected with an IM Nail (7 weeks ago). In my own research, I shouldn't need a waiver based on the below:

From
13.6 ORTHOPEDIC HARDWARE, RETAINED of
the NAMI Waiver Guide:

"WAIVER:[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Retained hardware in the upper and lower extremities is NCD (Not considered disqualifying) provided there has been resolution of the underlying orthopedic problem, that the hardware is not subject to trauma, is intact and in the intended location, and does not weaken the bony structure. ... Designated personnel may be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis. "[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]and[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]"DISCUSSION: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Often the underlying orthopedic condition is disqualifying and of greater concern. Retained bioelectric devices (implanted bone stimulators) imply the persistence of a disqualifying condition and are CD (considered disqualifying), no waiver. If the device has been "curative" then it is no longer required and should be removed. Hardware implanted as a component of a prosthetic joint (arthroplasty) is CD. Most implanted hardware (screws, plates, staples, wires) are used as part of an open reduction and internal fixation of a fracture. After the fracture has healed, the hardware has done its job, and should be removed if it causes discomfort, is easily accessible, and there is minimal morbidity associated with the removal. Some types of hardware are used to affix soft tissue to bone (i.e. knee ligament and rotator cuff repair, shoulder capsulorraphy). Removal of these is generally not indicated. Pedicle screws, Harrington rods, circlage wires, and fixation plates too frequently become broken as a result of metal fatigue over time, often with disastrous neurological consequences."[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]But, being that you're not winged...it's may be one of those things that the Navy is saying: "we need to thin the herd of those applying." [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Good luck, and hope for the best. Don't go removing the hardware just because you want to get in, make sure you realize that even without the metal, a waiver might be denied.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Rass

I still appreciate the help! Thanks man. I really dont think im going to take it out. At this point i just wonder if i can do anything else since i already had a waiver denied.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
ChunksJR did you good.

WRT the waiver...MEPS denied you but NAMI might say ok. FWIW, it is not unsual for people to keep flying after pins/rods. I know of a few who were accepted into the program with rods/pins....IF the symptoms were no longer a problem.

Could be that your best bet is to contact NAMI, look at the bottom of the 'Waiver Guide' for the Physical Qual number and call them. They may be able to help you out and point you in the right direction. Especially if you are applying for aviation.

Rass

ChunksJR did you good.

WRT the waiver...MEPS denied you but NAMI might say ok. FWIW, it is not unsual for people to keep flying after pins/rods. I know of a few who were accepted into the program with rods/pins....IF the symptoms were no longer a problem.

Could be that your best bet is to contact NAMI, look at the bottom of the 'Waiver Guide' for the Physical Qual number and call them. They may be able to help you out and point you in the right direction. Especially if you are applying for aviation.

Thanks Doc!
What does "WRT" stand for? Additionally you should know i am applying for SNA/SNFO/SWO. Will contacting NAMI do any good if i dont get pro-req Aviation, but do get picked up SWO?

I appreciate the input Doc.

nugget61

pilot
Thanks Doc!
What does "WRT" stand for? Additionally you should know i am applying for SNA/SNFO/SWO. Will contacting NAMI do any good if i dont get pro-req Aviation, but do get picked up SWO?

I appreciate the input Doc.

wrt = with regards to

I don't want to blow smoke at you, but are you sure you were denied the waiver? My OR told me that I was denied for my PRK waiver just because the way they write the letters is tricky. My OR read the line that reads "Applicant does not meet physical standards for SNA and is physically DQ" (or approx that) and stopped reading, despite the next line stating that a waiver could be approved.
Just want to make sure its not some stupid little thing before you do something drastic as you made it sound like you are good to go.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
nugget61 could be correct. I have seen where MEPS says no but NAMI says yes. Call NAMI.

Rass

So i have good news.

When i first started applying to the Navy almost a year ago, my recruiter asked for my records i had on my leg. So i got him everything i could get my hands on (which was limited doctors notes, and 7 years old).

My recruiter called me tonight and said that his "contact" at the place he submitted the waiver said having a "current orthopedic consultation" would help me significantly. He said that i basically needed a Doctor to say i was physically fit.

Hopefully with a new orthopedic consultation i should have a chance.

Calling in the morning bright and early to make an appt. :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Your recruiter is right. If you...your doc...make it easy for the Navy to say yes...then things will go much smoother for you.

USN will want to know these key points....are you free from pain and do you have full range of motion and full strength.

good luck

Rass

Your recruiter is right. If you...your doc...make it easy for the Navy to say yes...then things will go much smoother for you.

USN will want to know these key points....are you free from pain and do you have full range of motion and full strength.

good luck

Pain, Range, and Strength. PRS, easy enough acronym to remember when talking the the Doctor!

Thanks for the tip Feddoc!!