• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roc

pilot811

Fly High!
I was talking to a retired Navy Captain today and he asked me if the ROC (Reserve Officer Candidate) program was still around? He said the ROC consisted of going to OCS for 6 weeks between your junior and senior year and then finish the rest when you graduate. Anyone ever heard of this? Also, I was trying to figure out after you get "winged" is the 8 year commitment all active duty or some inactive?

Thanks,
Kevin

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was talking to a retired Navy Captain today and he asked me if the ROC (Reserve Officer Candidate) program was still around? He said the ROC consisted of going to OCS for 6 weeks between your junior and senior year and then finish the rest when you graduate. Anyone ever heard of this? Also, I was trying to figure out after you get "winged" is the 8 year commitment all active duty or some inactive?
Already answered in #2, but....

My program was Aviation Reserve Officer Candidate (AVROC) - one of the best deals ever!
Enlisted as a Reserve Airman Apprentice in my sophomore in college. Issued a full set of uniforms, but never had to attend drills (there were no units in my area.)

Spent 6 weeks the summer between my sophomore and junior year, and another 6 weeks the following summer in Pensacola going through AOCS. Then was commissioned an Ensign upon graduation and went to Preflight in P'cola.

Breaking up AOCS into two parts was much easier than all at once... and we were pretty salty the 2nd summer. But what really torqued the Academy guys was that we AVROCS were being paid with over 2 years longevity, and they weren't. :D

And the commitment back then was only 2.5 years after winging.

Too bad they ended the program many years ago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dont they own you for life inactive?:eek: jk

No. Once you serve 8 years you have no required commitment to the IRR, baring any other obligations you may have incurred. Just in case you were wondering.........jk

pilot811

Fly High!
Thanks for the info Chunks.

That does sound like a good deal Catmando. Kind of like BDCP? But instead of OCS all at once, its seperate.

Kevin

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
I, too, got my commission via the AVROC program in 1971. There were actually two programs, the two six-week stints at P-Cola while in college and then commissioning upon graduation from college, and the one eight-week summer at P-Cola and then, after graduation from college, joining a class of already-commissioned folks and completing it that way.

The first one (two six-week sessions) ended in 1969. I was in the first of the one eight-week stints, and was in the last of six classes who attended in the summer 1970 (Class 102-II). The guys who were in the 1969 six-week classes were told not to report for the second session and to graduate from college first and then show up. They were put into a regular class of AOCs just out of Poopyville (Indoc) and went through with them. They were commissioned upon graduation from AOCS, and not four or so weeks later, as the AOCs and NAOCs were. The AOCs had to solo at NAF Saufley before they were commissioned and the NAOCs (SNFOs) had to pass a mid-term test at VT-10 before they were commissioned.

So... I did one eight-week session between my Junior and Senior year of college, returned to graduate from college, and then was given a date to report back (kind of a dream sheet that one filled out... I got my third choice). After returning to P-Cola, the six of us from the previous summer then were assigned to a regular class in one of the Battalions, but didn't do anything with them except live among them in the rooms there. During the day, we joined up with a group of ensigns and 2nd Lts and did the preflight thing. Instead of doing the preflight survival school week, we had candidate officer week and picked up the survival school during down-time at VT-10 much later. We had an RLP just after we got there, but after that the DIs left us alone.

All in all... it's the best deal I ever fell into. Over-two for pay purposes upon commissioning was just one of the perks. Before commissioning... if you screwed up in front of the candidate officers or DIs... all you had to say was: "But sir... I'm an AVROC..." and that was enough to have them look down, shake their heads and say "get out of here....!!!"

I think that the guys at Newport had the same deal, except it was called ROC instead of AVROC. It died sometime in the late 70s of early 80s, I believe.