• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roadwarrior

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm headed out to the stumps in the next day or two, and I'm looking for a few interesting stops along the way that'll eat up my 15 days of enroute time. I've made the drive West-to-East before, and 15 days is a pretty long time to do it, even with stopping to sleep. I'll probably make a 2-3 day detour to Vegas and maybe a day in Albequerque to see some relatives, but other than that, I've got time to spend. Anyone have any interesting places to stop?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
I'm headed out to the stumps in the next day or two, and I'm looking for a few interesting stops along the way that'll eat up my 15 days of enroute time. I've made the drive West-to-East before, and 15 days is a pretty long time to do it, even with stopping to sleep. I'll probably make a 2-3 day detour to Vegas and maybe a day in Albequerque to see some relatives, but other than that, I've got time to spend. Anyone have any interesting places to stop?
As you know, it's going to be hot as fvck if you go the southern route, so lots of the cool spots will be unbearable. Grand Canyon and Sedona is always cool, although the later is on fire right now. You're coming from Milton, right? I'd almost go north so you could hit Glacier and/or Yellowstone, but I realize that that's quite a detour. What's the occasion anyway? Are you all finished up?

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
I always wanted to spend a few days in Flagstaff...seemed like a cool town to spend some time in (plus the grand canyon right next door).

Joshua Tree is cool. Or you could try a more northern route and hit up St. Louis (Ted Drews, Cards Bball) and then make your way to Zion. Of course, this assumes you like the outdoors, but I figure all Marines love the outdoors.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'd anticipated it being hotter than Vida Guerra's posterior, and I was prepared to adjust accordingly. The last time I drove XC, I did it mainly at night, and things worked out pretty well, temperature-wise. Of course, that kind of rules out stopping for an hour or two to see something, as most sh!te winds up being closed in the middle of the night (go figure).

I'm headed to 29 Palms for the Air Support Control Officer Course. The MOS is usually referred to as DASC. I won't go into WHY I'm headed out there to learn a new job, as it's a long, long story. PM if interested.

As of right now, I've got three stops planned: NOLA, Albequerque, and Vegas. I wouldn't mind taking a day or two and stomping around some hiking trails while enroute, though, so I might look into that.

Thanks, keep 'em coming.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I'd almost go north so you could hit Glacier and/or Yellowstone, but I realize that that's quite a detour.
Took the words right out of my fingers. If you have 15 days to eat up, you need many detours like this.

KBayDog

Here are a few suggestions:

*The Gateway Arch
*Cousin Eddie's house
*The second largest ball of twine on the face of the earth, which is only four short hours away
*The House of Mud
*Dodge City
*The Grand Canyon
*Phoenix

And, of course:

22686326_1a2b7fb721.jpg

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Pags said:
I always wanted to spend a few days in Flagstaff...seemed like a cool town to spend some time in (plus the grand canyon right next door).

Joshua Tree is cool. Or you could try a more northern route and hit up St. Louis (Ted Drews, Cards Bball) and then make your way to Zion. Of course, this assumes you like the outdoors, but I figure all Marines love the outdoors.

Zion is awesome. Some really neat scenery for SW Utah in there. Hiking up the river is lots of fun.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Zion is awesome. Some really neat scenery for SW Utah in there. Hiking up the river is lots of fun.
Yeah, Zion is my fav of all the Utah parks, but Moab is king if you're going to do some MT biking.

Brett

Birdman

I thought Glacier was a really good park, I went on some backpacking road trip thing in high school and saw about 30 national parks.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
If you're heading to Albuquerque along the way then I'd recommend a route that takes you through Denver where you'd then turn south on I-25. Once you hit New Mexico cut over through Cimarron and then hit Taos...a wonderfully peaceful place. From Taos head on down to Albuquerque for your visit to the relatives. Out of Albuquerque head northwest towards Chama and maybe take a ride on the Cumbres and Toltec steam railroad. Then you could head west and and make a pass through Durango where you can get a ride on the Durango and Silverton steam railroad (can you tell I'm a steam rail fan...try it you'll like it). From Durango you can come down by the Mesa Verde...a wonderful park...and then down into the Four Corners region. If you're headed on to Vegas then you can decide to hit Grand Canyon north/south rim, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Canyon De Chelly. Take along a Tony Hillerman novel or two and you can can get some more ambience about this area. Have fun!

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Yeah, Zion is my fav of all the Utah parks, but Moab is king if you're going to do some MT biking.

Brett

Or rafting.

Or offroad ATVing.

Or go to an all you can eat pizza.

Or anything else worth doing.

Kick ass place.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Second what Barnard1425 said about barbeque. It pains me to say it because I was born in Texas and raised in Alabama, but Kansas City does have the best barbeque.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Signing off to begin my trek. I've got a pretty b!tchin' PDA/phone/thing, so I'll see if I can provide some humorous pictures from along the route. Yeah, I'm a gadget whore, so what?

Departing for some alcoholism training in NOLA tonight, and I'll continue on my way.

As it stands right now, I'm planning on spending a good 4-5 days in/around Albequerque with my relatives. My cousins are pacifist, vegetarian, sierra club losers, and my uncle is stoked to have me drop by. He took his 'boys' hunting a few times, and they both cried each time. I'm not sure what's in season, but we're going to spend the time sending animals to meet their maker. Of course, this is all dependant on him not being sent to parts undisclosed for work, which happens on a fairly regularly. If it falls through, I'll have to adjust a bit, but I've got some good leads thanks to you folks. If I bag anything, I'll give you all first dibs on jerky. Mmmmmm....SQUIRREL...