• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can't go around calling every open source article worthless,
I'm not calling every article worthless. I'm calling Forbes worthless. They are the Task and Purpose of the business world. Their content is so consistently bad that it's a parody of itself at this point.

Also, every Drive article is worthless... unless it's about my team. :D Kidding aside, it's Rogoway's stuff that is painful to read. Jamie Hunter, who did the HAVOC piece, has a great reputation, and is only tangentially associated w/ The Drive. Hunter is also an amazing aviation photographer.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I am disappointed. That is a response worthy of Scorch. What exactly is your problem with the article? You can't go around calling every open source article worthless, inaccurate or hyped when you are comparing it to your officially briefed perspective. Frankly @Randy Daytona calling something interesting carries more weight with me than you simply dismissing it without comment. The article lays out certain facts. Some a bit obvious for people like me with some knowledges. Which ones are completely false? The analysis in some places may seem shallow to people with knowledge beyond open sources, but that doesn't mean the conclusions are manufactured out of whole cloth simply to hype the article. I found little objectionable in the article. But given you are far more current on such things I'd expect to learn something from your take. But, alas, no.

I found the article interesting in the possible replacement of the Mark 41 by the MAC. Also the lightweight (600 lbs) torpedo / mini torpedo (200 lbs) caught my attention and their possible use with light helicopters. I was curious if the Navy would ever consider using multiple little birds instead of a H-60 (The highly capable AW-119 is the Navy’s newest training helicopter with an empty weight of 3,300 lbs and a max gross of 6,300 lbs so that is 3,000 lbs of crew, fuel and payload to work with).

As for Road to 350, the National Interest had a short article that gave a quick glimpse of ship totals between the US and China.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I found the article interesting in the possible replacement of the Mark 41 by the MAC. Also the lightweight (600 lbs) torpedo / mini torpedo (200 lbs) caught my attention and their possible use with light helicopters. I was curious if the Navy would ever consider using multiple little birds instead of a H-60 (The highly capable AW-119 is the Navy’s newest training helicopter with an empty weight of 3,300 lbs and a max gross of 6,300 lbs so that is 3,000 lbs of crew, fuel and payload to work with).

As for Road to 350, the National Interest had a short article that gave a quick glimpse of ship totals between the US and China.

Yes, there's a program thats looking at having multiple swallows carry the small torpedo suspended between the little birds via strings. Testing is currently happening IVO Capistrano.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why Brett, I am touched you thought of me. It really isn't necessary. I just don't think of you that way. That is, as an authoritative arbiter of worthwhile news and publications. Please don't be offended. It's just me. You're fine. It's me.
I think you've misunderstood. I am the sole arbiter of what constitutes valid online content. Seeking other opinions is a waste of everyone's time. :D

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yes, there's a program thats looking at having multiple swallows carry the small torpedo suspended between the little birds via strings. Testing is currently happening IVO Capistrano.
Are you suggesting that small torpedos migrate?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
An article related to shipbuilding:

U.S. Shipbuilding Is At Its Lowest Ebb Ever. How Did America Fall So Far?

A nation that led the world in commercial shipbuilding as recently as America’s bicentennial year today builds less than 10 vessels for oceangoing commerce in a typical year.

China builds over a thousand such ships each year.

So if you don't have enough warships, then perhaps this?

New Technology Could Turn Any Ship Into a Missile Launcher

BAE’s add-on deck launcher is a mundane piece of kit with strategic promise.

Assuming it fulfills its hype, then, the ADL will empower naval commanders to proliferate anti-air, anti-ship, anti-submarine, and land-attack weaponry throughout the fleet at minimal cost. Distributing firepower beyond capital ships is the idea propelling “distributed lethality,” the navy’s latest operational concept. What distributed lethality means, in effect, is this: arm ships. Arm lots of them. Empower them—and knit them into a battle force that disperses combat power among many firing platforms.