• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

hscs

pilot
I did the hull swap. Material condition was really bad. I do not see it fiscally feasible, especially when you look at higher OMN costs due to her age.

I also don't see the Navy paying 3k sailors to man a ship just to do CQ / special projects for NAVAIR.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It isn't a practical plan, unless we're about to enter a war surge...

The O&M on that ship would eat us alive. If we want 350 above all else, bring back the older Ticos and other surface combatants, or better yet, start buying small surface combatants from other nations, because in America we apparently can't build a frigate or corvette for less than $1B.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...or better yet, start buying small surface combatants from other nations, because in America we apparently can't build a frigate or corvette for less than $1B.

Don't really see this Admin or Congress pushing to repeal the Buy American Act.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
With her requiring fuel every 3 days underway, it's hard to imagine the Navy wanting to deploy her, at least in the conventional sense. That's why it occurred to me- it could free up the other carriers and extend equipment life. That said, I know next to nothing about surface logistics and hull maintenance, so maybe the juice isn't worth the squeeze (again, assuming the ship itself can even be made operational again.)

There is also the domestic political angle. The Republicans narrowly won Pennsylvania and Florida last election. The Kitty Hawk being rebuilt in Pennsylvania and based in Florida would provide lots of good paying jobs to the blue collar workers that overwhelmingly voted for Trump. In this aspect, the billions upon billions spent to renovate her as well as a few Perry class frigates is a feature, not a bug.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is also the domestic political angle. The Republicans narrowly won Pennsylvania and Florida last election. The Kitty Hawk being rebuilt in Pennsylvania and based in Florida would provide lots of good paying jobs to the blue collar workers that overwhelmingly voted for Trump. In this aspect, the billions upon billions spent to renovate her as well as a few Perry class frigates is a feature, not a bug.

Few problems with that. The Navy Yard at Philly closed over 20 years ago; even assuming the Navy could re-acquire the leases (remember the Cecil Field fiasco?) most of the skilled trades moved on or retired a long long time ago. And the Shityard didn't exactly have the best reputation for good work, on time even when it was open. So you're talking about re-activating a yard that was closed and never meant to be reopened, to provide political patronage jobs and money (you voted for me, here's your reward), to reactivate ships that were decommed and never meant to be reactivated, that the Navy doesn't particularly want back in service.

I get why the administration likes this idea, politically. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, either for the Navy or the taxpayers.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Switching gears, it's interesting to see the Admiral's stack. This isn't meant as an argument for or against our awards system, but he has no NAMs and no campaign ribbons despite having, from the looks of it, a very successful career. Not something you see everyday.

Edit: I am an idiot and didn't realize there were 3 more pages of posts after yours and this has been discussed already. Doh!

Interesting. I noticed the same and looked up his bio. You were right: "Moore’s personal awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit (three awards), Meritorious Service Medal (four awards), and the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (three awards)." That is odd, but perhaps not for an EDO, not to mention one of his SWO tours was during an RCOH.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
That was season three of four of House of Cards? Then he "fell asleep" in a parking garage, right?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Someone upstream remembered how Reagan brought the BB's back out of mothballs and said, hey why don't we do that? But I don't think any of the decommed ships they're talking about were put in any preservation beyond the very basics....Even the recent decomms like the last of the FFGs would require some major hull and machinery work to get them seaworthy, never mind upgrading the combat systems.

A SWO in my reserve unit did his first tour on the USS New Jersey and said the material condition of the ship was very poor, he described numerous issues affecting the mundane to the critical and they were common across the class. If a very well built class that had a fraction of the sailing time as most of the FFG's had issues like that I would hazard a guess that sinking money into upgrading the Perry-class would be along the lines of this movie.

...a few Perry class frigates is worth a serious look - will be interesting to see what the Admiral concludes. Apparently the Turkish rebuilds of the Perry are a lot more capable than the LCS...

The Turks?! HA! Just how often do they go out to sea? Or even beyond the Eastern Med and Black Sea? If you want to look at how difficult upgrading the Perry FFG's it would be instructive to look Down Under, where for a mere 50% cost overrun the RAN got 4 FFG's for an extra 10 years. That isn't a solution, it is a really crappy band aid.

I am a big fan of expanding the fleet and building more ships but nonsensical proposals like this waste everyone's time and effort and don't help with anything but scoring some cheap political points.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still don't understand why we can't have something like this. $500mil each

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fridtjof_Nansen-class_frigate

Buy American Act of 1933
Berry Amendment (1941)
Plus a whole shitpot of other acts, amendments, NDAAs, and DoD procurement rules.

For recent examples of what an asspain this creates for foreign corporations even building in the US with US corporate partners:
VH-71 Kestrel
Independence-class
HH-65A re-engining program

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Any of you guys with the Naval Postgrad School Executive Emm Bee Ayyy (and a procurement subspecialty in your service record) wanna comment?

:cool:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Buy American Act of 1933
Berry Amendment (1941)
Plus a whole shitpot of other acts, amendments, NDAAs, and DoD procurement rules.

For recent examples of what an asspain this creates for foreign corporations even building in the US with US corporate partners:
VH-71 Kestrel
Independence-class
HH-65A re-engining program

That doesn't preclude us from license building one of those designs, just like the T-6. Or, heaven forbid, designing and building our own version.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That doesn't preclude us from license building one of those designs, just like the T-6. Or, heaven forbid, designing and building our own version.

No, it doesn't. But what winds up happening is the US-built versions get bogged down in politics and legal challenges (VH-71, A-29), or wind up as Frankensteined bastards (HH-65A).