• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RIP Col Lewis Millett

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
There aren't many of the "old-timers" left.
Here's what I liked:
After serving in England with Canadian troops, he transferred back to the American Army in 1942. A year later, the Army court-martialed him for having deserted. By then he was a sergeant, fighting in Italy, and had already taken part in the invasion of North Africa, winning a Silver Star in the Tunisian campaign. The Army fined him $52 and later gave him a commission as a lieutenant.

Beautiful! Fined 52 bucks and made a Lt.

Col. Lewis Millett, Who Led 'Bayonet Hill' Charge, Dies at 88

Cleonard19

Contributor
I guess if you're going to get Court-Martialed, that would be the way to do it.

Amazing Soldier. Even more Amazing American.

Awards:
MOH
Distinguished Service Cross
Silver Star
Legion of Merit (2 Oak Leaf Clusters, i.e three total awards)
Bronze Star
Air Medal (2 Individual Awards)
Purple Heart (4 Awards)
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry
Vietnam Campaign Ribbon
Ranger Tab
US and Thai Master Parachutist Badges

And others..

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
" ... I bayoneted him — got him in the throat."

" ... the bayonet went into his forehead ... It was like going into a watermelon."

"But I was honored to fight for freedom, and I’d do it again."

What a man, a real fightin man. What an American. RIP indeed.

slug

He gave a speech at West Point around 1998--and is, to this day, the only speaker I have seen that I felt compelled to shake his hand after the speech just to have the honor to meet the man.

I remember two moments from the speech: he recited a poem he had written to honor his son who had died in a C-130 crash while serving in the army. He wasn't afraid to shed tears in front of the military crowd, and it was the most moving poem from a father to his son that I have ever heard.

The other moment is his recounting of the bayonet charge, and his motivation to lead the charge. He said that during the charge his soldiers saw him chucking the enemy's bodies over his shoulder like "chucking hay bales". After the charge he said he was so weak and exhausted that a child could have pushed him over.

Talking about his motivation for the charge, he said that he was trying to prove a point to the Chinese that Americans were not afraid of hand-to-hand combat. He summed it up by saying something to the effect of "I'm not sure whether or not they got the point... but there sure were a lot of dead Chinamen."

Classic. A true hero of a bygone era. It was an honor just to meet you, Sir.

E26

"We had acquired some Chinese documents stating that Americans were afraid of hand-to-hand fighting and cold steel," he told Military History. "When I read that, I thought, 'I'll show you, you sons of bitches!' "
I think I've fallen in love.

R.I.P. mate.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Talking about your bayonet going through someone's head like a watermelon right after bayoneting another dude in the throat.... he's a fucking badass.

RIP, sir.