• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RIP Col Frank Borman

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Frank Borman died today.

He was a real hero. First rendezvous in space as Gemini 7 commander, with Gemini 6.

And with Apollo 8 the first to leave low Earth orbit and go to the Moon. Apollo 8 proved that we understood orbital mechanics. The brass balls it took to do that, the absolute trust in the crew and the numbers. The thought that if anything is off we're going to miss the Moon and meet our demise over the horizon somewhere. But he, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders, did it anyway. And they were the first to see the Earthrise.

Godspeed Sir, you are one of the great human explorers.

HuggyU2

None
Amen.

Col Borman was our neighbor when I was growing up in the shadow of the (now) Johnson Spacecraft Center.
My brother and his son Eddie carpooled to school.

I recall he had a P-63 King Cobra in Las Cruces a number of years ago. Rare. I wonder where that plane is.

In any case... him, him... ?

Citation3

Thank you for sharing this unfortunate news here. Far too often recently the passing of these heroes goes unnoticed. Real Admiral Ken Mattingly passed away just last week as well.

Col. Borman was a true gentleman and I had the opportunity to meet him on a number of occasions.

Ad Astra Colonel Borman and Admiral Mattingly.

I was fortunate enough to add these two pieces to my collection that are even more meaningful today.

x382722-927588bc3910df979ddfaad8ee2cd0c9.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pvPc8RIF8Z.jpg

382396-14b7dcdb7b69aeab419e6424e847b8f7.jpg

I also think this is one of the best tributes to his Apollo 8 mission around the Moon that gave us the iconic image Earthrise. Worth the 6 minute watch.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Thank you for sharing this unfortunate news here. Far too often recently the passing of these heroes goes unnoticed. Real Admiral Ken Mattingly passed away just last week as well.

Col. Borman was a true gentleman and I had the opportunity to meet him on a number of occasions.

I was fortunate enough to add these two pieces to my collection that are even more meaningful today.

View attachment 39224

View attachment 39225

I also think this is one of the best tributes to his Apollo 8 mission around the Moon that gave us the iconic image Earthrise. Worth the 6 minute watch.

That watch is at the top of my list of "things I need to convince my wife to let me buy."

Fallonflyr

pilot
These guys were my inspiration when I was a kid. Now days the kid’s look up to dipshits with IG accounts who don’t really accomplish much other that driving Lamborghinis bought with their Daddy’s money.

Fallonflyr

pilot

View attachment 39224

View attachment 39225

That was awesome! Thank you.

Mos

None
These guys were my inspiration when I was a kid. Now days the kid’s look up to dipshits with IG accounts who don’t really accomplish much other that driving Lamborghinis bought with their Daddy’s money.
Yeah, you tell those clouds what's what!

On a serious note, Borman deserves to be remembered, RIP.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That watch is at the top of my list of "things I need to convince my wife to let me buy."
Shoulda gotten one in our JO days, the price has gone off the charts since. I almost snagged one with my severance as a leaving-active-duty memento, but thought “naa, get hired first.” Then they started jacking the price.