• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN RIP CDR Hugh "BZB" Magee

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flying West

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where pilots can go, when they have to die-
A place where a guy can go and buy a cold beer
For a friend and comrade, whose memory is dear;
A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
Nor management type would ere be caught dead;
Just a quaint little place, kinda dark and full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke;
The kind of place where a lady could go
And feel safe and protected, by the men she would know.

There must be a place where old pilots go,
When their paining is finished, and their airspeed gets low,
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And the songs about flying and dying are sung,
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd flown west before.
And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door;
Who would buy you a drink if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And then through the mist, you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen for years, though he taught you to fly.
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased that you're here.
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the journey is over, and the war has been won

They've come here to at last to be safe and alone
From the government clerk and the management drone,
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise
Where the hours are happy, and these good ol'boys
Can relax with a cold one, and a well-deserved rest;
This is Heaven, my son -- you've passed your last test!"

-Michael J. Larkin

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Going to miss his stories here and the little side conversations we had, for those of you that don't know back in the 90's (I believe) Hugh bred Scottish Fold cats, there is a picture of him holding one somewhere, as it happens my wife and I also bred Scottish Fold cats during that time, I found it funny that of all places here on AW I found another person that had the same hobby.

RIP BzB

maxsonic

I don't know if any of his family reads here, but if they do, please know he inspired and assisted many. I hope memories of happier times with him bring you some comfort.

Villanelle, Hugh's son here. Indeed, we do, and I'm very touched at the warmth received here from his Navy Airwarriors buddies. Dad reveled in the old and new friendships he made here in this Virtual Ready Room since he joined back in 2009. Being able to interact with you all helped sustain him in his final years; he felt a great sense of value to mentor many and of course pass along a few sea stories (most of which were true!). He also had fun with you all in an occasional dogpile (only when warranted, of course).

We were very blessed to have Dad on deck as long as we did. The past five years helping Dad fight through two bouts with oral cancer were tough...he taught and inspired us even more about how to stand fast and keep fighting when faced with the most adverse conditions.

Sorry about some of you learning via FB instead of by a personal contact...that's one of the challenges of social media in the new age. I will keep in touch with Brownshoe as BzB's Memorial Service plans in San Diego come together, right now our target dates for a service are 11 or 12 Feb. More info to follow as plans firm up.

Thanks to all of your for your friendship with BzB. I can tell you first hand, he treasured them all.

CDR Mike Magee, USN Ret.
BzBjr