• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ring Metal Question

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
My wife to be is looking at rings for me and before she committed to one or another I wanted to make sure there isn't any metal that the Navy will not let you have in the Aviation Community for things such as safety issues? I know in general titanium can be frowned upon because if the body swells in a crash many times the ring cannot be cut off and the individual could be at risk of losing the finger. Any thoughts on this? Seemed like a legitimate question but just wasn't sure...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Technically speaking, you shouldn't be wearing a ring anywhere near a flight line or in an aircraft. Many squadron SOPs will specifically state it's not allowed. That said, you'll still see people wearing them.

Personally, it's not worth it to me after having seen various cases of people getting degloved, but that's me.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Technically speaking, you shouldn't be wearing a ring anywhere near a flight line or in an aircraft. Many squadron SOPs will specifically state it's not allowed. That said, you'll still see people wearing them.

Personally, it's not worth it to me after having seen various cases of people getting degloved, but that's me.
Thanks. So no real threat in the air because one shouldn't be wearing one, and she can get whatever she wants?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Thanks. So no real threat in the air because one shouldn't be wearing one, and she can get whatever she wants?

Seems to be the case. My limited exposure with the flight line is thus far limited to Primary, but I've seen many instructors keep their wedding rings around their watchbands. I'm guessing they fly like that, but maybe they just put the ring away until they land again.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Personally, it's not worth it to me after having seen various cases of people getting degloved, but that's me.

Yeah, that awesome poster I always see around squadron spaces has been enough for me to not wear rings flying.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I personally wear my titanium band everywhere. I also wear gloves every time I fly though, which many people do not. Whatever floats your boat, I've survived plenty of emergencies and 1 crash while wearing it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I have a platinum ring, but I put it on my dog tags anytime I'm flying or on the boat. Obvious reasons for flying, and on the boat there's a metric shit ton of railings and other stuff that it'll bang against.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Definitely agree w/ SynixMan's approach. There's more stuff to snag your ring on & hurt yourself on the boat than on/around an aircraft. Crossing on to the flightline or approaching the ship, my ring goes on my dog tags. I specifically do not recommend any "hard" metal, as well. From some folks I know in the trauma medicine world, titanium, tungsten, and the like can pose a problem if your hand is injured and they need to cut your ring off to save your finger. Your wife will forgive you when you retain the capability to wear a (new) wedding band.