• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rifle and Pistol Qual?

donnyglaze

Ok, so I've asked around, but no one seems to know the answer. What's the deal with rifle and pistol quals down here in Pensacola? As far as I can tell, there's no rifle or pistol range here on NAS, so what do we do when we need to get back to the range? Do we go TAD to the nearest range? Do we just make a wish and get the badge we want?

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
we're exempt while here. There is a pistol range on NASP, over towards the back gate, on the sw side of the airfield.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You probably won't see the range again until you hit the fleet.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I haven't seen the range since TBS in 99...not because I don't want to go, but the enlisted Marines in the squadron has priority for the range slots and there are never any left for the O's.

It's not gonna help you or hurt you for promotion anyways...

SF

donnyglaze

No big hurry, I'd just rather have a chance of hitting expert with the pistol. Not that the Distinguished Shooting Cross that I have now isn't cool looking or anything...

Bevo16

pilot
I have been in the Navy since 1996. The last time I saw a range was in boot camp.

(the two-way range in the desert not withstanding, didn't get to shoot there anyway..just a lot of looking)

Phoenix1

you shoot when you hit intermediate/advanced. jets for sure, maybe/maybe not for helos. and its usually only non-academy because most academy have their quals. if not, they will be out there with you. pistol only too, no rifle as we do not carry rifles, only pistols...in theater. just wait until you get to your advanced stage, if you need the qual, they will send you to your base range for it, if you don't need it, don't sweat it

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Marines, not Navy gents ... we, most definitely, carry rifles.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
No big hurry, I'd just rather have a chance of hitting expert with the pistol. Not that the Distinguished Shooting Cross that I have now isn't cool looking or anything...

Ahhh, chest candy.

Don't worry, you'll have NAMs and COMs that you "earned" by really "not fvcking it away" in no time.

Good luck.

donnyglaze

I dunno man, the Corps is a little shiesty with their pieces of flair. I've seen many a set of wings with just a National Defense Ribbon. It looks so lonely.

teabag53

pilot
Dude, are you fucking serious??? Medals, shooting badges??? Is that what's important??? I feel like I'm on crazy pills.

Focus on doing well in flight school and then knowing your shit once you hit the fleet. Chances are if you have the time to spend at the range (and in doing that there is a good possibility you are screwing a junior Marine out of the opportunity to improve his/her cutting score) you are missing something along the lines of maintaining technical and tactical proficiency in your airframe. If you DO find yourself with nothing to train for that's aviation related I'd make goddamned sure I'm not taking a slot from a Marine that NEEDS it.

You'll get the opportunity to shoot when you need to in pre-deployment work-ups. If you just want to shoot well and aren't getting enough you can always do it yourself.

NUFO06

None
You can get the qual in Pensacola towards the backgate. The problem is getting someone to sponsor you (pay for it), I was going to do it with the reserve guys at training wing 6 when I was stashed but got classed up before the shoot. Best chance of getting a qual is through a stash job.