• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ribbons

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
220px-Compton_506e.jpg

bud compton (band of brothers), silver star,purple heart, combat infantry badge, jump wings and two campaign ribbons. that's it.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/band-brothers-soldier-buck-compton-dies-90-35811

sometimes i think our current system for awarding medals and ribbons might be a bit inflated.

especially when i see guys with 5+ rows of ribbons who have never seeen a real bad guy.

( air strikes count as seeing bad guys).

just sayin'

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't we already gone down this rabbit hole? ;) Like it or not, the current system is what it is and there's no easy way to press the reset button.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
If I remember correctly, you only have to wear one row of the top "gongs." Willy Driscoll used to wear only three ribbons -- Navy Cross, Silver Star (with a couple of stars on it) and a Purple Heart. 'Nuff said...

mid1510

F-4J_VF-96_Showtime_100_in_flight.jpg

Speaking of William Driscoll, here is a photo of his Phantom (from his Wikipedia page). Where is the pilot's canopy?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
They profiled a few of his engagements on Dogfights on Discovery a while back. one of the better episodes and the only one I've watched more than once.

Dogfights is a great program. The episode on the Hellcat is notable as well.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re: "where's the canopy?"

Canopy is definately still there. The canopy frame went almost all the way to the center window between the canopies. If it was missing the frame area would be much thinner between the side window and the forward canopy. Also if you enlarge it enough you can make out the canopy hinges.

Pags

N/A
pilot
220px-Compton_506e.jpg

bud compton (band of brothers), silver star,purple heart, combat infantry badge, jump wings and two campaign ribbons. that's it.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/band-brothers-soldier-buck-compton-dies-90-35811
If you look at his awards history on Wikipedia you'll see that he got several other "gee dunk" awards that aren't shown in this picture to include a PUC that the Army wears over the right breast. Not to downplay his achievements, but it's also worth keeping in mind that he was involved in combat ops for 11mo.

sometimes i think our current system for awarding medals and ribbons might be a bit inflated.

especially when i see guys with 5+ rows of ribbons who have never seeen a real bad guy.

( air strikes count as seeing bad guys).

just sayin'

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because clearly being shot at is the only REAL way to earn anything.

I'll probably never see your definition of a "bad guy"... My ribbons-I should throw them out??
Not my definition. It was our CAG's definition at the time.

"This is your job. You just do it. It is what you volunteered and trained for. You do it with an extra $60 a month combat pay, and for a whole lot of much more important reasons. You don't need any medals, and you don't earn any medals, except in the most rare of cases, well above and beyond everyone else with you who just doing their job in combat."​

Most of us guys at the time had no problem with that.
[Maybe later when they saw Air Force guys' excessive bling, and even contemporaries in other airwings. But it's still OK with me.]