• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbons & Medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I've prior enlisted time in the USAF, and have a small collection of ribbons and medals. Does anybody know if I should bring these to OCS?

Can they be worn on a Navy uniform, and if so, how do I find the order of precedence between USAF and Navy ribbons?

If the answers to the above questions are "yes", then I ask, MUST I bring them to OCS? Dealing with them (precise measurements and all) will probably be more trouble than they are worth...
-Anthony

Ummm...yeah

Hudson

Some of them will work. There is an address somewhere around here that will take you to where you can find out the order of precedence. And I belive you do have to bring them with you. They are part of your uniform and if you do not have them on you will be in affect out of uniform. Bad mojo.

jlinscott

Go to the Navy BUPERS website for the uniform regulations: < https://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/uregMenu.html > and then click on the link called 'NAVY AWARDS ORDER OF PRECEDENCE CHART'. (make sure you click on the PDF version because it is more complete)

I was told that I was required to bring all ribbons and medals (big version and small) to OCS and I was advised to bring two sets. The order of precedence chart indicates the Navy recognized ribbons and medals (however you should contact BUPERS, or check the other links that are on the website above to see if there are cross-service exceptions for your ribbons).

contrail_dash

I went through the 4 week AFROTC camp with a former nuke sonarman. He is now the only AF officer that i can think of that gets to wear his "Dolphins" on his AF uni. Kinda cool if you ask me.

he leaves the Navy for the AF, I leave the AF for the Navy......funny

19873016.jpg

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
So...
I've gone through NAVPERS 15665I (Navy uniform regulations...found at the above link - thanks for posting it - it's useful in other ways) and SECNAV Instruction 1650.1G (Navy/Marine Corps award manual)...

... and come up with nothing regarding the wearing of ribbons and medals earned in the USAF or Army.

Any other ideas? Is there a "uniform hotline" or something I can call with this question? I'm really hoping to have the answer before OCS...

Ummm...yeah

unfUSN

I do know that you are not authorized to wear all your ribbons/medals from other services. If you call OCS someone should be able to tell which ones are authorized and which ones are not.

My friend at OCS was a prior AF guy. HE brought all his stuff and was only authorized to wear a few of them. I think that most of the stuff he got for going to schools was not allowed... and I think that his ribbon/medals for weapons quals were not authorized as well.

ENS PAYNE

There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea.
- Joseph Conrad

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Found the answer...so for those who are curious:

I called the Navy Uniform Board at (703) 614-5075 and was told that the general rule of thumb is as follows:

If the Navy has an equivalent award (ex. Air Force Achievement Medal/Navy Achievement Medal) then it can be worn - in the same place the Navy equivalent would be worn. If you have both the Navy award and the equivalent from another service, the Navy one takes higher order of precedence on the Navy uniform.

More specific information on ribbons, medals, and breast insignia can be found by going to www.bupers.navy.mil and then:

- clicking on the "Services" link on the left side of the screen
- clicking on the "Uniform Matters" link near the bottom of the page.

-A

Ummm...yeah

Corky

I had three prior enlisted Air Force types in my class. They all were weapons loaders and they were eligible to wear the badge. However, only one of them did. We tormented him forever about it and he refused to bend to our taunts. He finally took it off halfway through API. Cruel? Yes. But he looked stupid and he was in the Navy know. Moral to the story: wear your ribbons, don't wear the badge.

Mike26

Dunedan,
I noticed in your profile that you were stationed at Emendorf, I was up there from 95-99, worked at the 90FS as a weapons loader, I am currenty a boom opearator at Fairchild waiting to go to Navy OCS with a pilot slot. What did you do while in the AF? Do you have an OCS class date yet?

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I was there from 93-96 working on the avionics backshop (3rd CRS) for the F-15's (supporting the 90th, 54th, and 19th FS's). I've was a civilian from then until last year when I was accepted for BDCP. My OCS class date is 12 July 03.

It's cool to run into someone who was at EAFB at the same time I was! When are you going to OCS?
-Anthony

Ummm...yeah

Mike26

Elmendorf was an awsome assignment. I was in Portland last weekend, My uncle lives there.
My class date is not until 18 Oct, almost there. What are you going to do after OCS?

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I'll be going to API as an SNFO...but I don't know when. I've been told it could be anywhere from 3 days to 3 months after graduation from OCS...if I have the time, I plan on taking a little leave and spending it with the family...if not - adventure here I come! Why did you choose the Navy instead of the USAF?
-A

Ummm...yeah

spsiratt

24 April OCS
How about aeronautical badges? Anyone know the deal on that? I've been enlisted aircrew in the AF for several years now, and aeronautical badges are madatory uniform items. Would I have to wear my AF wings in the Navy? I've known prior Navy flyers in the AF now and they wore both sets of wings. Any answers out there?

Shaggy

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
It's my understanding that the only USAF breast insignia you can wear is the one for parachuting. Call the Navy Uniform Board at (703) 614-5075 for the best answers...
-Anthony

Ummm...yeah

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Spsirat,

So those prior Navy pilots wore their wings of gold AND Air Force silver wings? I would have though it'd be one or another, i.e. either you're a Navy pilot for life, or once you finish training for a new MOS, you're a full-fledged zoomie and wear the wings of lead.

Also, what's the deal with the wing with a star on top? Is that for a certain number of flt hours or combat flt hours? If so, how many?

Phrogs phorever

Status
Not open for further replies.