• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbons & medals?

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
In my experience, Ultrathin ribbons don't look so great unless you have around 4 rows or so, but their medals look great. If you're at a training command or know for sure that you will not be receiving any knew medals/ribbons, then it is totally worth the money.

One thing to remember is if you have more than 3 medals you will want them mounted. You wear 5 in a row until you get 6 then it 3 on 3, and then it changes again and again.

Again this is just my humble opinion

CTT1 D

ENS D
Had my medals mounted at the Uniform Shop here in Newport last month... they're still using the black electrical tape (turn around time is 2 weeks). They also offer the "thin" ribbon racks at the shop. However, I went through ultrathin.com which is cheaper and looks better IMHO.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Had my medals mounted at the Uniform Shop here in Newport last month... they're still using the black electrical tape (turn around time is 2 weeks). They also offer the "thin" ribbon racks at the shop. However, I went through ultrathin.com which is cheaper and looks better IMHO.

You should have went with Regatta while in San Diego. Much better prices than ultrathin. Also, they will mail to update/replace/fix anywhere.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Go Ultrathin and go magnetic. No more holes in your shirts. When you get a new ribbon mail the rack in, and they will update it. You should keep your regular NEX set on hand as well, so you have an extra if you send in the Ultrathins.

5312. RIBBONS

1. Manner of Wearing. Ribbons are worn on the service coat or jumper of Dress Blue and Dress White, and on the shirt of Service Khaki, Summer White, Winter Blue, and Tropical White. Ribbons are not authorized on formal dress, dinner dress, or working uniforms. Wear up to three ribbons in a single row. When more than three ribbons are authorized, wear them in horizontal rows of three each. If ribbons are not in multiples of three, the top row contains the lesser number, and the center of this row sits over the center of the one below it. Wear ribbons without spaces between ribbons or rows of ribbons. Wear ribbons with the lower edge of the bottom row centered 1/4 inch above the left breast pocket and parallel to the deck. To prevent coat lapels from covering ribbons, ribbons may be aligned so the border to wearer's left is aligned with left side of pocket. Rows of ribbons where more than 50% of the ribbon is covered by the coat lapel may contain two ribbons each and be aligned with left border. On Full Dress uniforms, <see article 5313>.

2. Placement on Ribbon Bar. Ribbons shall be arranged on a bar(s) and attached to uniforms. Ribbons shall not be impregnated with preservatives which change their appearance, or have any transparent covering.

3. Arrangement. Arrange ribbons in order of precedence in rows from top down, inboard to outboard. Wear either the three senior ribbons, or all ribbons if you have earned three or more.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I had the magnetic ones at OCS. I quickly wished I had the short pins. During RLP's we had to "PT" in our uniform with ribbons. During all the jumping around and stuff they would shift. Nothing like getting up from some eight count body builders and having your ribbons all jacked up. The DI's really love that shit. I also had the same problems with driving a car and the seat belt moving the ribbons around.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I had the magnetic ones at OCS. I quickly wished I had the short pins. During RLP's we had to "PT" in our uniform with ribbons. During all the jumping around and stuff they would shift. Nothing like getting up from some eight count body builders and having your ribbons all jacked up. The DI's really love that shit. I also had the same problems with driving a car and the seat belt moving the ribbons around.

I should have clarified post OCS. That's a funny story though. I take my ribbons off when I drive for the same reason.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Nothing like getting up from some eight count body builders and having your ribbons all jacked up. The DI's really love that shit.

"...ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, THREE TWO! <thinking FUCK!>"

I wouldn't trust magnetic ribbons while getting PTed... were you wearing service khakis while getting PTed?? We didn't wear our service khakis (ie: ribbons) until we were Candios and at that point we never got PTed.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
"...ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, THREE TWO! <thinking FUCK!>"

I wouldn't trust magnetic ribbons while getting PTed... were you wearing service khakis while getting PTed?? We didn't wear our service khakis (ie: ribbons) until we were Candios and at that point we never got PTed.

We wore them during RLP's.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
BS should have remembered about wearing his ribbon during RLP. He did like eight of them I think...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
BS should have remembered about wearing his ribbon during RLP. He did like eight of them I think...

Not 8! Although I knew I'd be doing more than one when my first inspecting gunny asked me if I "Talked shit online" when some lame ass candio was making all sorts of crap up and telling him right there....:icon_rage

Third time's a charm! ;)

We wore them during RLP's.

Well, ya. I guess I forgot about that. But for one occasion (hopefully), it really shouldn't matter. By the time you get slayed, your uniform inspection is already done so your ribbons shouldn't matter by then.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Well, ya. I guess I forgot about that. But for one occasion (hopefully), it really shouldn't matter. By the time you get slayed, your uniform inspection is already done so your ribbons shouldn't matter by then.

It just draws lot of extra attention!! :D

Aircrew Instruc

None
If you get medals mounted make sure they do not connect rows together. I had that done and got the Iraq campaing medal and instead of having to have 1 row adjusted they had to fix all of them and I had to pay to have them all remounted. Gotta love the NEX.