• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbon identification help for award plaque

das

Contributor
Hi, folks. I'm working to create an awards plaque for an annual award from an endowment in the name of one of my mentors, CAPT John "Swede" Peterson...it's actually 4 years today that he passed away.

I am hoping to include his ribbon rack and wings on the plaque, and I have his last official Navy portrait. I would be grateful for help identifying the ribbons and devices.

peterson.png

What I think I have so far is:

Legion of Merit | Meritorious Service Medal (w/ two gold 5/16" stars)
Navy Unit Commendation | Meritorious Unit Commendation | Navy "E" Ribbon (w/ E device — doesn't look wreathed)
Navy Expeditionary Medal | National Defense Service Medal | Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (what is the device?)

...which I think translates into:

petersonrack.png

...except for the device(s) on the last ribbon? Your help is appreciated! Thank you!

das

Contributor
Ahh, for some reason that looked like a bronze palm, which obviously wouldn't make sense, but 4 bronze stars makes sense!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I am hoping to include his ribbon rack and wings on the plaque, and I have his last official Navy portrait. I would be grateful for help identifying the ribbons and devices.

peterson.png

.... Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (what is the device?)
Kinda fuzzy, but I'm thinking the above perhaps could be... Vietnam Service Medal w/ 3 bronze campaign stars??? The Sea Service Deployment Ribbon is a relatively new award and probably was initiated long after the CAPT retired. Just a possibility, could be wrong.
..which I think translates into:

petersonrack.png

...except for the device(s) on the last ribbon? Your help is appreciated! Thank you!
Bronze campaign stars? SampleVSR below.
VSR-1.pngVCR.gif Bronze campaign star.
BzB

das

Contributor
Thanks...the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon was created in 1974, and it really looks like that most closely matches it. I'm going to try to verify with his wife.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good call on the command pin.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Additionally, as an NROTC CO, he had a Command Ashore pin.

das

Contributor
Yes, definitely good call on the command pins -- thank you so much for your help and advice!