• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rhino Cut to an IFE

jmcquate

Contributor
WOW!!!!!! Ramp strike to an in-flight. I bet the power calls had some urgency to them.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's what the Shake and Bake testing the jets go through at PAX is for...to prove it can take that kind of abuse.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm trying to think of a helo equivalent to compare the fear-factor to, but I'm thinking that whether out of fear, or sheer physical violence... he might need to check his flight suit....

srqwho

pilot
I haven't been to the boat yet (so I have no idea), but what does something like this earn a guy?

darrylcn

Hate to be 'looking in from the outside guy (again)', but is that 1/2 a JBD raised on the bow cat? If so I haven't seen that before. They're 5 or 6 individual panels aren't they, is it common to put half of 'em up? Is it a safety deal for crew up front in case a jet gets right of centreline?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The in-flight engagement downed the arresting gear wire and engine until it can be inspected in detail. If there is considerable damage to the engine piston, then it might be down for an extended period and people being flown out the ship for a depot level fix. If it's a 4 wire ship (which the Nimitz is) you're now 75% mission ready to catch aircraft (assuming you're using all 4 wires).

I don't know on the Airwing side of the house, but on the ship's company side my guess is that is was a shit-show.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can leave the outer panels (nearest the landing area) down when launching a T-45 or F/A-18 A-D model. Anything else launching off cat 2 requires all the panels up. JBD 2 fouls the landing area when the outer panels are up. The ship will continue to launch jets off the bow as the recovery continues (cyclic ops).