• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rhabdomyolysis Waiver

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Good perserverence. I'm not a doctor, but I would rather have a guy who got Rhabdo from working his ass off (with no current issues of course), than some of the fat asses who look embarassing in the uniform.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Just to reiterate, DodMERB is a completely different organization than NAMI. It's good news to hear you got your waiver. Make more copies of your record than you know what to do with and store them in different places. The day you show up for your initial flight physical with a flight doc show up prepared for difficulties (just because rhabdo is a confusing condition). Don't worry about it though because I'm proof (and know other guys) on a waiver for rhabdo flying today. Good luck at OCS.

Bennett721

Winged instructor in Pensacola, just got myself a good case of Rhabdo. Initial meeting with Doc telling me I'll be down minimum 90 days. Has anyone had any luck expediting the process?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
UBearcat,
Was the rhabdo related to an exertional heat injury? If yes, and there are no other factors that might predispose you to a recurrence, you might be able to go directly to NAMI for evaluation since you're right down the street. You might be able to get an earlier look for a waiver if you work directly with the IM department at NAMI. Ask your Flight Surgeon to give them a call and see if he can set up a consult.
R/

MangoPhD1016

Hi everyone, just saw this post and this makes me a bit more hopeful to get my waiver for Rhabdomyolysis and Heat Stroke history I got from TBS before coming here to Pensacola. I had my upchit appointment 2 months ago when I was told I needed a waiver for this. Every update I've requested from the liaison that I'm supposed to go to for waiver updates said that it's still with NAMI and was not submitted yet and that the process could take several months. Never had to get a waiver before, since my first flight physical I was completely healthy before I had that incident at TBS. I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if it was normal to not get much updates for a while, just to find out one day that you got your waiver and it's good to go?

I think I look pretty favorable for this waiver since I did many hikes with around an 80lb load (required hikes at TBS) and even completed the graduation required 15 mile hike at TBS with the same weight. What induced my heatstroke/Rhabdo was that we were in range week hiking every day, and on the third day of range week we were reaching close to high 80 degree temperature while I was also sick. So I believe I've hit all the conditions shown on the waiver guide for this specific condition.