• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RFI -Army WOFT from Navy Enlisted?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So I was chatting with this 3rd class I used to be DIVO for when he was an Airman, and he expressed a genuine interest in becoming an Army pilot. He has talked to the command career counselor with no success and the Army recruiter here on Guam with even less success (basically he just wanted him to Enlist in the Army and then "figure it out then").

I know this site isn't about Army programs, but I also know a few resident Army Warrant pilots are here who might be able to point me in the right direction to get some info "straight from the horses mouth". I know of Kiowapilots.com but heard that's not a place for newbies. I did a search to no avail for a thread on this site, so if it's been asked and answered I apologize and please direct me to that thread.

Coota0

None

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
You know, if you just want to fly you can't beat Army Warrant. Good on you Otto for helping him out because clearly the regular recruiter wasn't helping him. "Yeah, just enlist with us and we'll take care of it ..." What a nightmare.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You know, if you just want to fly you can't beat Army Warrant. Good on you Otto for helping him out because clearly the regular recruiter wasn't helping him. "Yeah, just enlist with us and we'll take care of it ..." What a nightmare.

Yeah, and he was smart enough to know a scam. the guy obviously has the aptitude to fly. He's got multiple civilian certs (commercial, helo) and has worked as a pilot before he joined the Navy.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Yeah, and he was smart enough to know a scam. the guy obviously has the aptitude to fly. He's got multiple civilian certs (commercial, helo) and has worked as a pilot before he joined the Navy.

I can put you in touch with a KW pilot out in Ft. Campbell if you'd like, shoot me a message if you want. Sure he'd be more than happy to help someone out.

highside7r

None
Otto, PM me for any other info needed on here. No boot for him, although a few things have changed since I made the switch. He will have to do all the leg work himself, I was lucky and friends with the Army Recruiting station E7 on Navy Blvd in Pcola. I will say once I found out about the Navy CWO while on my second OIF deployment, I was looking to go back to the Navy side!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The Army National Guard is another option. We take flight school applications from other services all of the time. A strong performance record coupled with proven flight aptitude (civilian certs) could get him a WOCS slot and a flight school slot in the guard. The difference is that he would go through the unit he wanted to join, vice a recruiter.

Have him go to http://www.nationalguard.com and look through their forums. People there can point him to units in his state as well as the warrant officer strength manager for the state.

he up side is that he would have a paid full time job while in WOCS and flight school. The down side is that once he is out, the full time job turns into part time job until he can get one of the full time slots or until a deployment comes along. Some have also been successful in going active duty from the guard.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks all for the offers and info. I'll pass along any info received to him and hopefully get the ball rolling. Too often people make empty promises and end up forgetting and doing nothing. This is one I'd like to follow up on and really give him something useful, and hear about him making warrant some day in the future.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
The Army National Guard is another option. We take flight school applications from other services all of the time. A strong performance record coupled with proven flight aptitude (civilian certs) could get him a WOCS slot and a flight school slot in the guard. The difference is that he would go through the unit he wanted to join, vice a recruiter.

Have him go to http://www.nationalguard.com and look through their forums. People there can point him to units in his state as well as the warrant officer strength manager for the state.

he up side is that he would have a paid full time job while in WOCS and flight school. The down side is that once he is out, the full time job turns into part time job until he can get one of the full time slots or until a deployment comes along. Some have also been successful in going active duty from the guard.

+1 on this, I know the guard community well down here in Louisiana. Warrant Recruiter is CW3 Abair (not Hebert ironically)
Office number 318-640-3672
Cell number 318-305-9635
Like you said, the WOC can't get him the slot but sets up the interview with the Commander of the Unit. Bunch of crusty old guys down here holding those slots it seems like but you never know what will open up.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Recruiters don't lie, the truth changes.

That's originally about monitors/detailers, but it applies here.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I can't say for AD guys. Guard guys are deploying for a 1 year total deployment, which includes about 2 months of mobilization training. That leaves about 9 months actually at your deployment site, with a few weeks tacked on to each end at intermediate sites. We are getting 2.5 to 3.0 years between deployments. I think the AD deployments are a year, but mobilization is not included in the year (they are already mobilized). They spend more time in country and are probably closer to 1.5 to 2.0 years between. It is different for each unit, but that is what the AD guys in my MTP course told me.