• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Revised Afghan ROE...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[One thing I've noticed for many, many years while 'chatting' in cockpits & Ready Rooms -- and it's replicated on this website .... check, check ... it's actually TWO things that some of you guys 'miss' in the daily exercise of "who's right-who's wrong" ... specifically the [/B]'news' debate" in this thread ... :)

1. You have to have some 'standards' of YOUR OWN. Things that YOU believe to be true ... things that you'll take out your sword and draw a line in the sand over ...

2. You have to have some CORE BELIEFS ... that ol' bottom line that you won't retreat past ... core beliefs of your own.

Otherwise ... ???

You are at the mercy of what someone/anyone tells you ... you're just twistin' in the wind ... and you're subject to every recycled thought that comes along ... in short: y
ou're a chump. :)

No matter how 'smart' you think you are or pretend to be ... :)

Indeed! And that is what can be so dangerous about some of those that tend liberal or so called independents. It isn't about what feels good, makes you look popular or avoids the hard decisions. Ground yourself in firm beliefs you can consistently support and filter all the information through those filters.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Back towards the topic of the ROE change and "whiny liberal" allegations, I think it's worth noting that the restraint and professionalism of the American military coupled with a policy of protecting civilians played a huge role in turning the tide in Iraq. When our forces act in a manner so dramatically in contrast to our enemies' callous disregard for civilian casualties, said civilians take note. And in Anbar, that didn't mean they just stopped fighting us, it meant they started fighting WITH us.

Of course, Afghanistan is not Iraq and that wasn't the only factor at play there, but I think the fact stands that in this conflict particularly, collateral damage works very strongly against us and is well worth taking drastic measures to avoid, both morally and strategically.

That's my $0.02. But then I'm just a dumb O-1.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
And in Anbar, that didn't mean they just stopped fighting us, it meant they started fighting WITH us.

It helps when Marine Corps O-2s have several million dollar budgets to pay former insurgents a monthly installation to sit it out until we leave.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
It helps when Marine Corps O-2s have several million dollar budgets to pay former insurgents a monthly installation to sit it out until we leave.

This part...

will be interesting as it all plays out...

Money with war... hmm.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Mirandarize the Insurgents...

This has been going on for a few months now....
Evidently....the FBI is extremly uncomfortable in this role. Now, this is from the Weekly (Weakly) Standard.....a very squishy-Con pub..... but this story has been out elsewhere.....check it out. Unbelievable that we would try to fight a war this way.

The Obama Administration has ordered FBI agents to read terrorists in Afghanistan their Miranda Rights.
Stephen Hayes at The Weekly Standard Blog reported:

The Obama Justice Department has quietly ordered FBI agents to read Miranda rights to high value detainees captured and held at U.S. detention facilities in Afghanistan, according a senior Republican on the House Intelligence Committee.“The administration has decided to change the focus to law enforcement. Here’s the problem. You have foreign fighters who are targeting US troops today – foreign fighters who go to another country to kill Americans. We capture them…and they’re reading them their rights – Mirandizing these foreign fighters,” says Representative Mike Rogers, who recently met with military, intelligence and law enforcement officials on a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been going on for a few months now....
Evidently....the FBI is extremly uncomfortable in this role. Now, this is from the Weekly (Weakly) Standard.....a very squishy-Con pub..... but this story has been out elsewhere.....check it out. Unbelievable that we would try to fight a war this way.

The Obama Administration has ordered FBI agents to read terrorists in Afghanistan their Miranda Rights.

The Obama Justice Department has quietly ordered FBI agents to read Miranda rights to high value detainees captured and held at U.S. detention facilities in Afghanistan, according a senior Republican on the House Intelligence Committee.“The administration has decided to change the focus to law enforcement. Here’s the problem. You have foreign fighters who are targeting US troops today – foreign fighters who go to another country to kill Americans. We capture them…and they’re reading them their rights – Mirandizing these foreign fighters,” says Representative Mike Rogers, who recently met with military, intelligence and law enforcement officials on a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan.

While I don't agree with it, if the administration is going to continue to prosecute thee guys via some sort of trial or military tribunal, it will probably help facilitate & legitimize that process. After all, if we're going to abide by the Geneva Conventions (and I think we ought to), we can't compel them to give any information beyond name, rank, serial number, etc. Now, I do believe that there are times when more extreme measures may be warranted, but since we spend a lot of time proclaiming how fucked up everyone else is because they don't follow the Geneva Conventions, shouldn't we at least make an effort to follow it ourselves? We can't have it both ways here. Thoughts?

Brett

exhelodrvr

pilot
While I don't agree with it, if the administration is going to continue to prosecute thee guys via some sort of trial or military tribunal, it will probably help facilitate & legitimize that process. After all, if we're going to abide by the Geneva Conventions (and I think we ought to), we can't compel them to give any information beyond name, rank, serial number, etc. Now, I do believe that there are times when more extreme measures may be warranted, but since we spend a lot of time proclaiming how fucked up everyone else is because they don't follow the Geneva Conventions, shouldn't we at least make an effort to follow it ourselves? We can't have it both ways here. Thoughts?

Brett

They don't fall under the Geneva conventions (at least the great majority of them don't).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They don't fall under the Geneva conventions (at least the great majority of them don't).

They likely do if you read close enough. Even then it is a moot point since they still fall under our laws. We have dealt with plenty of terrorists very effectively through our regular court system, I don't see why prosecuting many of those left in Gitmo would be any different.

Bevo16

pilot

Nor do they qualify for rights guaranteed to US Citizens on US soil. When our sailors screw up on liberty, they don't get Miranda rights. Why the hell would we extend those rights to our enemy? If we are really doing that, and I hope that we are not, then someone needs to go back and re-take 6 grade civics class.

gonad

Back towards the topic of the ROE change and "whiny liberal" allegations, I think it's worth noting that the restraint and professionalism of the American military coupled with a policy of protecting civilians played a huge role in turning the tide in Iraq. When our forces act in a manner so dramatically in contrast to our enemies' callous disregard for civilian casualties, said civilians take note. And in Anbar, that didn't mean they just stopped fighting us, it meant they started fighting WITH us.

Of course, Afghanistan is not Iraq and that wasn't the only factor at play there, but I think the fact stands that in this conflict particularly, collateral damage works very strongly against us and is well worth taking drastic measures to avoid, both morally and strategically.

That's my $0.02. But then I'm just a dumb O-1.

It also seems that it isn't so much of what the media says (as it simply placates to an audience) but rather of the media using a premise that the American people view our enemy as a mirror image of ourselves. Equality is so vicariously thrown around, that most people lose any perception of reality and the realistic meaning. Equality is almost diametrically opposed to order in the middle-east as is some other pillars of our system. Democracy does not always equal stability.

Few Americans can see the true difference in culture, as most have not been out of the country, and the only exposure to foreigners has been those that have emigrated from their countries to the U.S.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nor do they qualify for rights guaranteed to US Citizens on US soil. When our sailors screw up on liberty, they don't get Miranda rights. Why the hell would we extend those rights to our enemy? If we are really doing that, and I hope that we are not, then someone needs to go back and re-take 6 grade civics class.

I guess the Supreme Court needs to hit the books then, since they have ruled that the prisoners in Gitmo have many of the same rights that US citizens have in the courts. Anyone in our regular court system is afforded the same rights, citizen or not.

dephyler

Contributor

The problem with the reporting of this story is that the WSB and many, many others used Fox News' original story as their source, but then injected a lot of interpretation into the report. This is the beef I have with news agencies today, they feed off of each other and not original sources.

foxnews.com said:
But Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd insisted the move does not represent a "policy change" and that no "blanket instruction" was given to the FBI to Mirandize detainees. Officials said it was a practice that began under the Bush administration.

Gen. David Petraeus, head of Central Command, said Thursday that FBI agents, not members of the U.S. military, have read rights to detainees in only a "very limited number of cases" and that the practice had been used in other countries previously.

"This is the FBI doing what the FBI does," Petraeus said. "So we are comfortable with this."

link:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...ing-miranda-rights-detainees-draws-criticism/