• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reverse Thrust For Push-Back

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Normally, leaving the gate, it feels as though a truck is pushing the jet back from the jetway before startup. However, the other day I swear the aircraft I was on was using reverse thrust to push-back. Engines spooled up and throttle up and we moved backwards.

For the airline pilots here, if what I perceived is correct, how often does that occur? It's definitely the first time I've ever noticed it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NWA has been doing reverse thrust push-backs for years --- only on DC-9's, MD-80's, and if I remember right --- 727's as well.

To oversimplify: you basically can do it on high tail-mounted engines with clamshell door style reversers and low(er) bypass type engines --- and the A/C has to be certified for the procedure and of course, the Company has to request to be certified for the procedure. I think Eastern, Republic (North Central and Southern, anyway), Delta (?), and a few others did the procedure. Time is usually the determining factor ..... so when there's not enough tugs, do a quick fuel check (dispatcher), it's push-time and the crew is trained and the A/C certified ..... ???

Time for a reverse thrust pushback.

Sometimes very stinky in the cabin, it's always dirty, it gets the attention of the ramp rats, and it's supposedly not engine-friendly. But if done right --- it is not "hard" on the engines, in spite of some propaganda to the contrary.

One idiot did it on a 747-200 about 10-12 years or so ago --- he melted a couple of engines and took "early retirement". You gotta' love it!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, with a 747?! Ouch!

Yeah, I was on a NWA MD-80. Thanks for the reply, good info.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Air Tran does it with their 717s but we don't with ours at Hawaiian. Too much crap can get blown around the gate area.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Boeing actually has suggested recently that they will put electric motors on the nose gear so they can push back AND TAXI sans engines. Dunno if it'll hapen, but they say the fuel savings are definitely there if its something the customers are interested in. Maybe on the 787's?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Texan said:
Boeing actually has suggested recently that they will put electric motors on the nose gear so they can push back AND TAXI sans engines. Dunno if it'll hapen, but they say the fuel savings are definitely there if its something the customers are interested in. Maybe on the 787's?

The small nose gear wheels and motors can generate enough torque to move around an airliner?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Maybe if it was on a conveyor belt...
Nice one, Eddie. :D

That would have to be one hell of a motor. I think someone at Boeing is smoking crack.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
HAL Pilot said:
Air Tran does it with their 717s but we don't with ours at Hawaiian. Too much crap can get blown around the gate area.
Was thinking exactly the same thing...and they (Airtran) make a point to tell you too.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
American used to (and maybe still does)do it quite often with their MD-80s. I remember many times at DFW when they'd push back w/ reverse thrust. Maybe it saves time waiting for a tug or something.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I forget which airport we were at, think it was Singapore from a medevac flight, anyways, the commercial/civilian lineman was briefed, our observers were posted, and we went into reverse.... the lineman was NOT prepared for it, even though we TOLD him what we were going to do.... A ton of ppl staring down at us from the concourse (what is this little grey plane doing between these 747s?), as the lineman stumbled backwards, dropped to his knees and leaned into the crap that was getting thrown at him...

Needless to say, I think he was happy when we left!!

Quite a few situations where we will back the plane up, including airfields where we had to do that. Biggest fear (besides running into something, not like hitting hangers, fire bottles or other planes is the greatest cause of heartache in the community as a whole, any P3 ground safety officer's with some statistics? :D ) is someone coming on the brakes and "tipping" the plane back onto the MAD boom (nah, that's never been done... yeah right)...

But overall, a pretty benign manuever.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't see what the big deal with all this backwards stuff is. Just lift up into a hover and air taxi backwards.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We only make thrust.....no backie.

r/
G

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw a P-3 back up at Kadena the other day. His taxi director was signalling abck up and we were laughing at it thinking there was no way, he missed the taxiway and would have to go elsewhere
But before I knew it he had backed up and taxied away.
Hadnt seen it before ever other than a C-17.