• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retirement Question

PSam123

I'm in discussion with my detailer about what could be my last set of orders. Right now it looks like I'll have 4 - 5 months left to my 20 when the PRD on those orders comes up. I've been told because its only a few months, if I have my retirement paperwork in to BUPERS, they will just extend me on those orders until retirement, so instead of 36 month orders they will be 41 (ish) month orders.

Does anyone know the limit on that? Is it less than 6 months? Less than 9? Where is it written? I can't find anything in writing to back this up and I really don't want a set of 30 month sea orders based on 4 months of obligated time when I could be fishing, drinking beer and violating Article 88.

Thanks,
PSam

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
PSAM, I just went back through my retirement folder, and could not find anything specifically restricting the limitation on extending orders. I imagine much of that will be terminal leave on your part (up to 100 days), so the detailer probably doesn't care. As long as you get your retirement paperwork submitted in time you won't be forced into a next set of orders. Majority of the instructions I have read involve more concern about meeting your MSR/TIG and not gapping a billet (retiring mid tour, which can be turned down). The closest I came to "in writing" covering your scenario:

MILPERSMAN 1810-020 "2.e. An officer who has not been notified of impending orders may request retirement for any date agreed upon by member and detailing community."

I don't have the link on me, but the NAVPERSCOM website has a very good faq page with links to all the applicable retirement references. I spent a day downloading and reading all of them so I wouldn't get any surprises before I talked to my front office and detailer.

Hope that info helps.

John

Bevo16

pilot
For what PCS orders cost these days, they would probably leave you there for an extra year as long as you let them know what you would like to do up front. More than anything, the detailers need to be able to plan ahead. Not having to take action on your billet is probably just one less set of orders your guy will have to write.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
For what PCS orders cost these days, they would probably leave you there for an extra year as long as you let them know what you would like to do up front. More than anything, the detailers need to be able to plan ahead. Not having to take action on your billet is probably just one less set of orders your guy will have to write.

I know it's not the navy, but this is exactly what my monitor did. In fact, it was his idea to extend me. I was all ready to immediately retire if he was going to move me. The catch was that I had to drop papers over a year out.

Renegade One

None
I'm in discussion with my detailer about what could be my last set of orders...
PSam...Are you currently living where you want to live to do the whole retirement/transition to something else? If your answer is YES, then I'd say: Stay there; extend to do that; be happy for all you've done for your nation.

If "where you are" is not exactly "where you'd like to be" for whatever comes next...then my advice is to see if you can get another set of orders (Yes...even if it costs you a few years to "commit for that") to wherever that is. Be where you kinda sorta think you'd like to remain for whatever comes next. What defines that is different for everyone...too many variables to even discuss. But the opportunity to start "networking" within the community/city that you think offers you and your family (if applicable) the best advantages is priceless...and well worth a couple of extra years if you can swing it. Heck, every year is another 2.5 percent, yes?

Thanks for your service, and for seeing it through to what will be a VERY satisfying end...and a great start to whatever else comes next.

Cheers, Spike

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Some of my contemporaries have been able to negotiate upto a year extension for retirement purposes. '
They pretty much worked it out between their detailer and themsevles (and obviously had command support to extend). A lot of it will depend on the job you are in the priority to have it filled.

PSam123

I'm currently in Afghanistan, having a swell time. The orders I'm slated for are overseas and are as solid as possible until 01OCT rolls around. The billet I'm headed to is currently gapped, and has been for some time. Due to my GSA I wont be able to arrive until early next year. Things here in Afghanistan aren't going all that well. Lots of culture conflict in this army centric environment and it has been made known to me its not outside of the realm of possibility for me to depart earlier than previously anticipated.

I'm very much looking at this next overseas billet being my last tour in the Navy. Will we stay there afterward? Maybe, the prospect has come up, but that's not so important to the family and I as we have a place to go when we finally depart the brow for good. What I'm concerned about is pulling the trigger, saying "I can leave now and report in a few months" but when that PRD rolls around have too much time left to 20 and end up with a 30 month sea tour based on having 7 or 8 months till my retirement and having no bargaining power.

So I was wondering if there was a limit, i.e. less than 9 months extend in place. 9 months and a day, 30 month orders for you. While I want to get to the next job (dream location!) and I want to get out of here (nightmare location) I don't want to leave the current command in the lurch nor inadvertently screw myself out of what should be the farewell tour the family and I have been looking forward to.

The detailer has be great to work with and the new command would be happy to have me tomorrow but understands the position I'm in here. I was just wondering if I left in Aug or Sept instead of Nov if that would mess things up on the back end of the next tour.

From what you all are saying it seems less likely there is a hard fast rule and more about communication with the detailer. Maybe I get there and let him know I'd be happy to stay for an extra year or two, and unless someone else is chomping at the bit to get in the seat, I get extended even beyond the 20. Yeah, I know, now I'm just being greedy. Working for the Army will do that to a guy.

Thank you for all the advice and input. I appreciate the help.

Fly safe,
Patriot Sam