• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retirement Points & ROTC Summer Training

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Ladies and Gents,

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that summer training time from ROTC can count towards your retirement points. I verified this is true via OPNAVINST 1001.39F (reference link below). So, the question: When should I submit this info to have the points added to my total?

I'm being involuntarily separated 1APR, so should I submit it so the points are on my DD214 or wait until I'm in the reserves. If I wait, when should I submit it?

It's not many points, but it is more than one good year of reserve service, which translates to more beer money in my old age.

Thank you all.

Reference:
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...ons/BUPERSInstructions/Documents/1001.39F.pdf

Go to page 158 of the pdf and look at 'ROTC Summer Training Credit'

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
DD214s only cover one period of AD at a time. You'll need to document it somewhere else.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I want to say that the whole summer training credit thing was recently clarified/rescinded, I'll check next week to see if that is the case.

SlickAg

pilot
Just tried this; the instruction was updated sometime after this version specifically to exclude ROTC summer training. I call BS because the 10 USC talks about using ROTC time for longevity pay purposes; I'm not trying to get a good year, just the points. And I'd like to know how if I'm on active orders, subject to the UCMJ, it's not active duty service. If you start the class action suit, throw my name in the hat as well. I've got around 27 years to wait it out...E-mail from PERS below:

It has been determined that NROTC Midshipman cruises are not considered to be active duty service per the language in 10 USC 2107(g) and 10 USC 2109 and therefore, cannot be included in the calculation of your total retirement points. The 1964 ROTC Revitalization Act prohibits such credit for members, who first entered the NROTC Program after passage of the Act in 1964.

V/r,

MR. XXX X. XXX
Branch Supervisor
Navy Reserve Officer Status Branch (PERS-911C)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, that is along the same lines to what I saw over the summer.